Should I take the chance on reconing myself

da box king
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Portland, MI
Well I think the best option that I would be happy with is to recone both of my 15" HDC3 to 18" aluminum coil hdc3

Now I watched MileyB recone my subs the first time, and if I recone them myself instead of sending the motors to dj than i could save about $140 on shipping.

Recones for the alum 18" kits, and baskets and all will run me about $300

so what do ya think, only thing im worried about is the coil gap and makin sure its right...

Also if anyone wants to buy my one good hdc3 before I tear it apart for recone lmk..I don't really want to tear apart a perefectly good sub. I just need the motor

If you don't have the shims to shim the gap just use some plastic overhead projector sheets they work really good.
DJ includes all the shims and all...might use printing paper if it aint enough

does the basket just bolt down? Cuz I will be switchin baskets to 18's too

i know on my old CV they sent shims along with the recone. it was basically impossible to **** up.

i reconed my nightshades and i used just plain white printer paper as shims. was pretty simple. i used CA glue, which holds basically instantly. i glued down the spider with the shims in place, then pulled the paper in like 15 seconds and pushed on the cone to make sure there was no rubbing. the CA glue held it in place pretty good, then i just filled in around the outside with goop and its held up amazing so far. havent had a problem and i reconed both drivers in the middle of the summer.

i know on my old CV they sent shims along with the recone. it was basically impossible to **** up.
i reconed my nightshades and i used just plain white printer paper as shims. was pretty simple. i used CA glue, which holds basically instantly. i glued down the spider with the shims in place, then pulled the paper in like 15 seconds and pushed on the cone to make sure there was no rubbing. the CA glue held it in place pretty good, then i just filled in around the outside with goop and its held up amazing so far. havent had a problem and i reconed both drivers in the middle of the summer.
did you spray the spiders with activator after or before pullin the shims....makes sense to pull them after incase the coil moves

DJ includes all the shims and all...might use printing paper if it aint enough
does the basket just bolt down? Cuz I will be switchin baskets to 18's too
did you spray the spiders with activator after or before pullin the shims....makes sense to pull them after incase the coil moves
Baskets screw down, easy to swap.

Just shim the gap as even and as tight as you possibly can, its pretty hard to screw it up as long as your shims are symmetrical.

Lay your bead for the spider first though, then after press the spider down and work your way around with activator. Just be easy with the activator, (the glue really only needs to smell it) if you use too much the glue will get brittle and crack. So just remember that part. Afterward it doesnt hurt to lay some more fresh CA down and I usually skimp out with the activator then so you ensure a strong bond, let it sit overnight before break-in.

If you have the shims the reconing is super easy.

I use Manilla Folders cut to the size of the coil to gap mine.

039.jpg

Here's a write up I did on another site.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/index.php?showtopic=33737

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.