So-So Sound quality from my new Pioneer P780MP

ty1er
10+ year member

Boston
Any one else out there not completely satisfied with the sound quality of thier Pioneer P780mp Head Unit. I just install mine a couple of days ago, swaping out my Kenwood x790.

Im not sure on how to explain it, its almost like the audio is being processed buy an audio filter. I have gone through every setting that i could find, but nothing seemed to help.

Dont me me wrong its sounds desent, but im just picky when it comes to lisening to my music. The Highs sound slightly off - not clean and totally crips like they did with my x790.

The part that sux is, i love the layout/design and color screen of this headunit.

I was just wondering if anyone else out there had simlar coments about this deck.

I guess im going to stick my kenwood x790 back in to night.

anyone looking for a deal on a p780mp? owell. ebay time.

-ty1er/

Any one else out there not completely satisfied with the sound quality of thier Pioneer P780mp Head Unit. I just install mine a couple of days ago, swaping out my Kenwood x790. Im not sure on how to explain it, its almost like the audio is being processed buy an audio filter. I have gone through every setting that i could find, but nothing seemed to help.

Dont me me wrong its sounds desent, but im just picky when it comes to lisening to my music. The Highs sound slightly off - not clean and totally crips like they did with my x790.

The part that sux is, i love the layout/design and color screen of this headunit.

I was just wondering if anyone else out there had simlar coments about this deck.

I guess im going to stick my kenwood x790 back in to night.

anyone looking for a deal on a p780mp? owell. ebay time.

-ty1er/
Did you readjust all your gains?

Another thing to consider is that even if the 780 is supposed to sound better it will still sound DIFFERENT to your ears than your kenwood. Your ears are used to the sound of your last deck and when you switch to a different sound it may sound a little off. Chances are you had to get used to your last one. Oh and you did adjust the EQ right??

Did you readjust all your gains?
Another thing to consider is that even if the 780 is supposed to sound better it will still sound DIFFERENT to your ears than your kenwood. Your ears are used to the sound of your last deck and when you switch to a different sound it may sound a little off. Chances are you had to get used to your last one. Oh and you did adjust the EQ right??

Thank for the reply.

Yes i have adjusted all my gains properly. I have been messing around with the EQ also.

Maybe you are right, i might just perfer the sound of my kenwood over the pioneer.

Maybe you are right, i might just perfer the sound of my kenwood over the pioneer.
Or, maybe you just need time to get used to the sound of the Pioneer. Chances are you probably had to get used to the sound of your kenwood. Also, whose to say your kenwood's sound was "right".?? There are alot of variables to consider here but don't sell yourself short, get the eq set with an RTA if you can. And then if it doesn't sound right to you then you will atleast know you gave it a REAL chance.

Well, I just swapped my X790 and P780MP back and beforth serveral times......

I'll be ****ed if i can hear any difference at all. I think the sound differences lay mostly in my head.

Im pretty sure im just going to stick with the P780MP.

You do know if you have the settings for the surround set wrong it makes the rear output channels sound like it has a delay on them right? and you can even make that delay happen on the front channels too. What you do is turn the head unit completely off with the remote, then hold the Function button down on the remote for 4 seconds, a menu will appear that lets you scroll thru the output/input functions for the unit....

at least thats how it is for my mp760 which is close to yours

You do know if you have the settings for the surround set wrong it makes the rear output channels sound like it has a delay on them right? and you can even make that delay happen on the front channels too. What you do is turn the head unit completely off with the remote, then hold the Function button down on the remote for 4 seconds, a menu will appear that lets you scroll thru the output/input functions for the unit....
at least thats how it is for my mp760 which is close to yours
Surround??//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif I wasn't aware of surround sound on these units.

go eclipse

Well, I just swapped my X790 and P780MP back and beforth serveral times......I'll be ****ed if i can hear any difference at all. I think the sound differences lay mostly in my head.

Im pretty sure im just going to stick with the P780MP.
Other than the CD7000 none of the new Eclipse are going to give him any better perfromance than he has now. His just needs some time to be tweaked in.

I wasnt very happy with my hu either when it was first bought. And all I could come up with was that the 2 hu's sound different just like you guys were saying. I gave it a week or 2 and now I love my Pioneer.

Well, i conducted a little A/B conparision test last night between my two decks.

Here is what i did: I hooked up the rear output RCAs from the head unit to the RCA inputs of my PC. I made a test Disc with various types of music on it. Then proceeded to record the first minute or so of each song onto my pc via adobe audition. I tried to record from both headunit using simlar setting. Same x-overs, volume, etc.

After i recording from both decks i compared each track using a blind A/B type test.

Sound quality from each source was pretty good. One thing that is aparent is that the pioneer had more "back ground noise" then the kenwood. It is not introducing distortion or anything like that. Its just accenting what is already in the music.

Here is what i have learned.

With the Pioneer you can not use the "loud" option or any of the stock EQ presets. I noticed in Audition (aka cool edit) viewing the audio under "spectarl display" I could easily see the backgroud noise more promident with the pioneer.

After adjusting to EQ and dropping the bands around the 1k area the sound quality was pretty close to the kenwood.

So the pioneers EQ needs to be tweeked alot before getting any good sound quality out of this unit.

The Kenwood SQ is excellent using "loud" option and stock EQ presets.

So, im giving the P780MP a couple more days to try out.

Well, i conducted a little A/B conparision test last night between my two decks.
Here is what i did: I hooked up the rear output RCAs from the head unit to the RCA inputs of my PC. I made a test Disc with various types of music on it. Then proceeded to record the first minute or so of each song onto my pc via adobe audition. I tried to record from both headunit using simlar setting. Same x-overs, volume, etc.

After i recording from both decks i compared each track using a blind A/B type test.

Sound quality from each source was pretty good. One thing that is aparent is that the pioneer had more "back ground noise" then the kenwood. It is not introducing distortion or anything like that. Its just accenting what is already in the music.

Here is what i have learned.

With the Pioneer you can not use the "loud" option or any of the stock EQ presets. I noticed in Audition (aka cool edit) viewing the audio under "spectarl display" I could easily see the backgroud noise more promident with the pioneer.

After adjusting to EQ and dropping the bands around the 1k area the sound quality was pretty close to the kenwood.

So the pioneers EQ needs to be tweeked alot before getting any good sound quality out of this unit.

The Kenwood SQ is excellent using "loud" option and stock EQ presets.

So, im giving the P780MP a couple more days to try out.

Just curious, what is the rest of your system??

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.