Sound Deadening Install of Roof

Cool, I really need to do this...I just hear its such a pain //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

good stuff man, i know what a pain it is to do the roof, i just finished mines!
Cool, I really need to do this...I just hear its such a pain //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
Yeah, it is a pain in the ass to do. I have a 2000 4runner and the way the car is designed I had to take everything out to get it done. I'm talking about the quarter panels, dome lights, overhead center console, mirrors, and even the floor boards. After that, once I took the roof off there was that insulation stuck everywhere to the roof with heavy duty glue. I had to peel it off with a stucco tool and then sand and clean the whole roof. All of that, before I had to awkwardly install 2-3- layers across the whole roof. It sounds amazing once it is done though. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

good stuff. when i finally pull my headliner out to have it wrapped in suede i'll be doing the same //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

nice waste.

What he's refering to is the fact that most people think that you need to cover the entire surface of whatever you're deadening...not true. Yes, I was once one of these people too. You probably only needed a fraction of what you used. As long as you cover 25-40% of the area you need to dampen, that's about it. Space out the sheets and stay way from the edges.

This is what I was told when I got "taken to school" by Don from Sounddeadener Showdown. That guy runs circles around people in the deadener industry. Very intelligent, and his products are practically nano-technologically engineered. I'm not tryin to bash your product you used as most all of them "get the job" done; I was just referencing.

What he's refering to is the fact that most people think that you need to cover the entire surface of whatever you're deadening...not true. Yes, I was once one of these people too. You probably only needed a fraction of what you used. As long as you cover 25-40% of the area you need to dampen, that's about it. Space out the sheets and stay way from the edges.
This is what I was told when I got "taken to school" by Don from Sounddeadener Showdown. That guy runs circles around people in the deadener industry. Very intelligent, and his products are practically nano-technologically engineered. I'm not tryin to bash your product you used as most all of them "get the job" done; I was just referencing.
Good information to know in the future. As far as strengthening the surface area, not deadening it, does covering the whole surface area make it stronger? I would imagine it couldn't hurt, but would it help? It just seems that the thicker you make it and the more area you cover, the stronger and less flex you would get.

yeah you really only need deadening on the parts that are the most resonant iirc.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.