Spare Tire Subwoofer

I see well like everyone else has mentioned you would be happier with an SD3 though if you cant get it to fit. Then against all get a 12 in pioneer sub and feed juice. Yes Pioneers are not the best out there but they are also not the worst. Other bash on them because they want the hardcore spl and lows and so on. Like I said before I had dual 8" shallow subs. I was very happy with the SQ and loudness. I just was not happy that I could not feel the bass in my chest. I tried out dual 12in shallow subs and that worked perfectly for my taste in music. Though I could not use dual 12in my stealth mounting project on 10's. So I listened to the 10" pioneer shallow and again it was not much different than my dual 8's.

So I took everyone's advice and went with the SD3 and I am glad I did heck 1 10" sub gives me everything I want shakes my chest and loud in my cabin and shakes my suv. Cant wait to add another 10" sub in there and I think I will be happy. If I could I would go bigger and better subs. But I like my cargo space and as an owner of an X5 I like everything stealth and neat.

I wish you the best and keep us posted on your project. Don't be discouraged because others say they are trash. Really its all about what you like and if your happy with the results.

Just like in home audio who are way more picky. There are people there that can make a pos speaker sound better than over the shelve high end speaker. Again its about time, planning, and execution of your project.

So to recap if your stuck with nothing else then get a 12 in shallow Pioneer sub and pair it with the right amp. I will say this stay away completely from pioneer amps.

Thanks for the advice itcharles! I went out and bought most of the supplies needed to make the enclosure. I have not bought the sub yet. I am going to start the build and see where I end up and how much space I have. Here is a photo of what I got. The items may not be the highest quality, but it's what home depot had.
5d9c2f2ebf97cd09785a9a3c3551c960.jpg

Pioneer is bottom of the barrel when it comes to subwoofers man, poor sound quality, poor output, overpriced. Sundown SD is top notch when it comes to shallow mount.
Stick to head units when it comes to pioneer, avoid their cheaper speaker lines and almost all of their subwoofer lines. Cant emphasize enough how sh*t pioneer subs are. Utter garbage right next to boss and pyle.
Wait wait wait... Didn't you and Roland just reccomend me two pioneer sub's?

Wait wait wait... Didn't you and Roland just reccomend me two pioneer sub's?
All the all the other pioneer subs. there's always a diamond in the rough amongst the companies. Even crunch has a decent 3k amp back then and lanzar has their opti series. Pioneer has the pro 1200 and 5000 spl subs that actually do pretty well. However neither of those are shallow mount like the OP is asking for.

Mainly trashing these pioneer lines

TS-SWX2502_large.jpg

18364L.jpg

All the all the other pioneer subs. there's always a diamond in the rough amongst the companies. Even crunch has a decent 3k amp back then and lanzar has their opti series.
Mainly trashing these pioneer lines

TS-SWX2502_large.jpg

18364L.jpg
What is so wrong with the pioneer shallow mounts? I know they are no sundowns, but they are much more thin (stay true to an actual shallow mount) and reviewers have left great reviews and say they sound great considering their size. Have you personally listened to one in an optimized setup?

@itcharles. I have been doing some math and there is no way I can fit a sundown. So I am stuck with the ts-sw3002s4, which I don't think is too much of a problem. I just need to figure out an amp. One thing to take into consideration is that I don't have an amp for my mids right now. The head unit claims to provide enough power, but it's only 22wats rms. Should I get a 4 or 5 channel amp? My head unit also has specific sub controls and it would be nice to have the sub on a sperate channel, but is that even needed? I could do a 4 channel and bridge it or maybe a 4 channel and a sperate sub amp. I have no idea, what are your thoughts?

What is so wrong with the pioneer shallow mounts? I know they are no sundowns, but they are much more thin (stay true to an actual shallow mount) and reviewers have left great reviews and say they sound great considering their size. Have you personally listened to one in an optimized setup?
Yes I have in a local shop in one of their demo cars they are weak, lack depth and bandwidth. They are just flashy for show. If you hear the other stuff on the market youll know exactly why this is getting trashed right now. All those 5 star reviews are mainly from noobs that barely got their first WORKING subwoofer that has never experienced anything else or anything quality. They are just happy that their subwoofer produces sound and hasnt blown yet.

If you want to hug on pioneer's nuts, feel free. Just hope you never hear any other brand or else itll get you wanting to upgrade subs lol.

Thanks for the advice itcharles! I went out and bought most of the supplies needed to make the enclosure. I have not bought the sub yet. I am going to start the build and see where I end up and how much space I have. Here is a photo of what I got. The items may not be the highest quality, but it's what home depot had.
5d9c2f2ebf97cd09785a9a3c3551c960.jpg
Awesome keep us updated on your build. You may inspire others.

As for your question about 1 or 2 amps. It is always recommended to have 2 amps one for your Speakers and one for the subs. Now you can get a combo amp where it has 5 channels like the JL amps out there. There may be more out there. Although I am not a huge fan of the 5 ch amps. Not sure how it will work if it fails. IE will the speakers work if the sub ch goes out, plus the inconvenience if one fails you have to replace the whole thing and not just one amp. So my 2 cents is get your amp to power your subs and then get the 4ch amp. You can deal with not blasting your mids but not having that sweet bass oh man. LOL

Okay as for the guy who wished you not hear anything better. Come on that's harsh //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif but true in a way. Just go with the sub that fits your build and your taste in music. I mean my gal who only likes rock, and alternative and some jazz would hate if I installed an SD in her car. The bass would over kill her music taste and second paying 2 bills for a quality sub when it wont be used to its full potential ever would be silly. In her case she wanted to barely feel it and not shake her car. Now as for me as I said before I didn't want anything crazy I knew of better subs and so on. Though I had to be realistic and realized that none of the subs I liked or heard in the past would fit my application and I had to compromise. Though when I asked for help here at Caraudio not because Pioneers ****** but the fact that I wanted something that would play louder and the 12in pioneer did the trick for me but it would not fit in my project. So I asked the advice and someone pointed me to the right direction I was able to find that SD 2/3 would fit my application. I went with their advice and even better found CAB where I was able to save some mula. Trust me if I knew SD made a slim sub I would have gone that route first but my Google searches was not strong enough LOL.

So here is wishing success on your DIY project and hoping you have room to fit an SD3 in there.

As for the 2 other brands listed by members here.

Skar: They make sweet subs though not sure about the EV series sub I mean 49.99 buck for a sub. You get what you paid for.If you go this route then try their VD shallow mount sub. Not that would give you better sound. Here is their specs for mounting.

Enclosure Specifications

•Sealed Volume : 0.65 ft^3

•Ported Volume : 1.25 ft^3

•Mounting Depth : 4.41"

•Cut-Out Diameter : 9.3"

•Magnet Diameter : 6.3"

•Subwoofer Displacement : 0.08 ft^3

As far as Helix never heard them in person and I cant seem to find a lot of chatter on them on google.

I would run the Dayton shallow before the Pioneer shallow.
Oh yeah totally forgot about Dayton subs. Good call k5james Yeah you could go that route too although never used them in car set ups mostly in home audio set up. But hey that's what's fun about car or home audio. You buy little at a time and then build and then you realize **** I have an X amount set up nice //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

In a car world you take a road trip and enjoy your tunes. In the Home audio pop some popcorn and enjoy a movie with your friends or SO.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.