Speaker Ice Chest

dannyz122001
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I am thinking about building an ice chest with built-in speakers, subs, amp, bat, etc. Looking to see if anyone has ever done one or has any useful ideas.

Looking to use possibly a marine 8 of some sort, 4? marine 6x9's or 6'' coaxials, a 4-channel marine amp, and a batt.

Conceptually, the idea is to use a large ice chest, section off areas to hold the amp and batt and so on, but for it to still be functionable to hold beer and all. Just throw some ideas out there

I am thinking about building an ice chest with built-in speakers, subs, amp, bat, etc. Looking to see if anyone has ever done one or has any useful ideas.
Looking to use possibly a marine 8 of some sort, 4? marine 6x9's or 6'' coaxials, a 4-channel marine amp, and a batt.

Conceptually, the idea is to use a large ice chest, section off areas to hold the amp and batt and so on, but for it to still be functionable to hold beer and all. Just throw some ideas out there
Depends... if it's going in your boat... put the amps somewhere else and just run some small coaxials (4" or so. No need for 6x9", but you can if you want.) Then connect it VIA some sort of MOLEX type of connection or use some RCA interconnects for the power. Don't run subs... it's not worth it. They'll go out.

Depends... if it's going in your boat... put the amps somewhere else and just run some small coaxials (4" or so. No need for 6x9", but you can if you want.) Then connect it VIA some sort of MOLEX type of connection or use some RCA interconnects for the power. Don't run subs... it's not worth it. They'll go out.
its not going in a boat, its gonna be portable to that i can take it on the beach or in a tube when tubing down the river. i want it to be totally self-contained

***NOT MY WORK***

http://fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=6480

34724.jpg

made a quick sketchup of my idea. i tossed the sub idea and probably went a little over the top but you get the idea.

in the drawing, its 6-6'' coax. on the left side of the ice chest, i have partitioned off an area for a battery (in the lower left side, visible in the x-ray image) and an amp. to "enclose" the area, im gonna use a piece of frosted plexi? or something, with holes in it to allow the amp to breathe. im also gonna mount a HU on the plexi or whatever and throw an ipod dock in there somewhere, using one of those waterproof cases.

EDIT: im gonna use some PVC piping or something to make speaker pods that will extend into the actually ice chest about 1.5'' and gonna FG it to make it waterproof

question though, how would i go about wiring this thing? as far as power/ground, just straight from the amp pos and neg to batt pos and neg? if so, then what about HU power? ideas/suggestions......

interesting design....in my design I scrapped the HU and will only use an ipod dock, 4 channel amp, four 6 1/2's, 8" sub, and battery in a 150 qt ice chest and still utulize 3/4 of the ice chest. oh and it will be on big tires

interesting design....in my design I scrapped the HU and will only use an ipod dock, 4 channel amp, four 6 1/2's, 8" sub, and battery in a 150 qt ice chest and still utulize 3/4 of the ice chest. oh and it will be on big tires

yea thats basically what im going for.... havent decided about the HU or not... prob wont just so its one less thing to worry about. let me know how the sub works out.

wanna share a pic of your design?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.