Speaker Setups: Polk DB's OR Alpine Type-R's???

TundraGuy916
10+ year member

Hey Everyone,

I'm Kinda stuck between choosing the following speaker setup in my Toyota Tundra Truck:

(front) POLK AUDIO DB6500 6.5" COMPONENT

(rear) POLK AUDIO DB650 DB 6.5" 2-WAY

OR

(front) ALPINE SPR-17LS TYPE R 6.5" COMPONENT

(rear) ALPINE SPR-17LP 6.5" 250W 2-WAY

I will be running these off of a "V12" Alpine MRV-F345 75w RMSx4 Amp

Please let me know your suggestions/comments

THANKS!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Diddo on polks, I owned some in my F-150 and they sounded great, but didnt have the volume I wanted(but they werent amped)

I heard a set amped recently and I will say that it didnt blow me away with the loudness, but it did plenty fine

SQ - Polks all day

SPL - R's and Polks onthe same level, Polks MAY have SLIGHT advantage

Only heard the R's in stores so I wont say for sure, but I told you what I KNOW for sure, and the rest is based on what I've read time and time again

Interesting....

I am about to put my set of db6500's on eBay.

Why, you might ask?

The "highs" on these polks are really HIGH. My wife is furious....

I could live with them , but they are not what I expected.

Make no mistake, they ARE super clean and clear ........jut their tweeters are "very rich" as many would put it. I listen to a lot of heavy metal and everything else in between, so a super high tweeter is not a pleasant thing to listen to on daily bases, at higher volumes.

Sound quality is great on these db's......but you have been warned a bout the tweeters.

If nothing else go listen to them locally somewhere, ask to hear them amp'ed and see for yourself.

....for what it's worth.

If the tweeters being "too rich" is a problem the crossovers have a setting that is 0 -3 -6 db switch so you can turn them down if you like at 0 they were very painful to the ear but at -3 they perform great

I have the mmc 6.5 inch components

....and this is the problem. DB6500's have no tweeter adjustability on the X-overs! They staight wired.

(didn't even cross my mind when I was buying them that such was the case).

:/

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.