Sub help budget sq dayton/dcon/obsidian

Participant count
  • Participant list

steele6794
10+ year member

Boston
Hi, looking to try something different than my current subs which are 2 10" infinity kappa perfects in a ported box. Thinking of going up to a single 15" sealed or ported and looking at the dayton HO ,obsidian, dcon or possibly the gcon. I listen to mostly rock/metal but do enjoy electronic and pop as well. Need a 15 with a strong motor and that is where I get confused.

I have even been toying with the idea of buying a couple new type s 12's to get more cone area for impact and the small box size

Want to be more geared towards sq. want the sub to be musical.

Going inside a trailblazer and would like to stay at or below 3.5 sq/ft for ported box. aonly have 800 watts to play with. Could upgrade amp in time but not now.

Any other subs that I haven't listed that would be a good fit throw out there.

If you only have 3.5 cube you won't get great performance out of 15" ported. People trying to cram too much sub into too small a box is why big subs get a bad reputation for sounding like ***.

Avoid the type S.... really avoiding the lowest end of any brand is a good policy.

I have a 15" tc9 (shocker super extreme) posted on eBay, that should do OK in 3.5 sealed, or could build you one of these:

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofers/603408-12-sig-build-forum-member-anger-polished-motor-oem-parts.html

Very impressive in 3-3.5 cube ported.

I'm in the Boston area every Monday pretty much so we could save shipping and paypal fees if you're interested.

3.5cf is actually a good size for a ton of 15s on the market. . .
You can look at the Sundown SA15, Obsidian 15, The Gcon works, DC Level 2

what's your budget
I would spend somewhere in the $200+ range if need be. Out of the four subs you listed , which would work best sealed if I decide to go that route?

I really like the obsidian but they are never available. The dc level is a top contender and I forgot to list them m my first post. They seem to be available to purchase whenever, which is good.

Can someone also tell me what the upside of running a single 15 would be as opposed to just buying another 10" kappa and running three of them?

If you're not just itching to buy something new I would suggest putting the subs you have in a ¼ wave transmission line. With those subs in a line you will hear low notes you never thought they could play and the kick drums in rock will hit you right in the chest with brute force.

Matter of fact, it doesn't matter what sub you use... SPL or SQ oriented, entry level or top of the line... it will sound better and louder in a line.

Here's an old video of a JBL GTO 1014 I put in a line:

Any of those setups would produce tight, fast kick drum bass that hits you dead in the chest and they'll do it on a few hundred watts.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.