Sub not hitting like it should

Participant count
  • Participant list

So good 4U

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi I am looking for some insight into why I'm not getting the performance I'm looking for, I have seen videos on YouTube with smaller amps shaking cars to s**t. The Sub is a Alpine Type R-10d4 wired to 2 ohm load it is in a Scar armor box with a 1" wide kerf port (1.4 ft³ @38hz) the amp is a Infinity 611a (657 watts at 2 ohm). The amp did well pushing two Rockford Fosgate P1's also wired to a 2 ohm load, before they tapped out and locked up. All other system info big 3 upgrade, 4 gauge wire, dual head unit "I know" and pioneer g series in doors.

You are not giving that subwoofer enough power. The RMS on it is 750 so you are under-powering it by a decent amount. Putting it on a bigger amplifier will do wonders for that subwoofer. Those are known to get down. Your 38hz might be a bit much but a Box Designer there would know better then me. But what you play for music as well helps. I also would think about doing a 2nd subwoofer if you can and then getting a bigger mono-block amplifier that can run at 1ohm. Type Rs need power and right now you just don't have enough of it. Then you would also have to upgrade to 1/0 for the amplifier as well but that is no big deal.

Thanks for the advice I was just looking at the crutchfield website and they said it is a power hungry speaker, I bought it with the idea of future proofing as like you said it can be wired a lot of ways. I will be looking for an amp that does 1500 watts rms at 1ohm so that right now I can run the one speaker at 2 ohm 750 watts and when I get a second speaker I can run 1500 watts at 1 ohm. Any suggestions on an amp that fits the bill? I like the Scar box but I don't know how there amps are they seem to cheap to be any good.

Type R subs can get down fairly decent with some power and a good tuned enclosure.The older Type Rs really did some work at quite a few shows I was able to demo. Run a pair in approx 4.0 Cu. Ft @ 32-35 HTZ and put a Taramps 3k on them, and they should get down very nicely for a pair of 10s. Get that supply for the Demand situated as well, and I think you will be fairly happy till you decide to ugrade again later.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.