Sudden Epiphany.....

Not all clipping is created equal mind you.My current install is hard to get to clip at nearly my loudest comfortable level.

Very,very nice so far. I wish I could turn up my HU bass 2 ticks-- cause that'll do it..

but i'll blow my door mids.
So you can't turn down your door mids to allow you turn up HU 2 more clicks???

I know. Guess that's why low distortion subs might sound "dry"Slight distortion makes the music feel more driving and powerful i guess.

When it's clipping- i know its LOUD

i'm talking about midbass too
Yes, distortion usually goes better with edgy Rock and Roll, Punk Rock especially. Maybe other forms of music too. I'm very familiar with that. I'm mostly into jazz now though, and jazz generally sounds best of amplified/reproduced very cleanly and distortion-freely reproduced. And distortion is what many associate with loud due to all the cheap amps and speakers out there that almost all get distorted when turned up very loudly. But I was amazed at the first time I heard music on a very high quality distortionless and loud system. I was amazed! It's so much nicer on my ears!

John Kuthe...

I got a few distortion test tracks that add a bit of THD on different tracks. Personally I have a hard time hearing 10% in sub bass and 5% in the mid range. What you will find is a slight power gain with a bit of a soft clip.

Not all clipping is created equal mind you.My current install is hard to get to clip at nearly my loudest comfortable level.

Very,very nice so far. I wish I could turn up my HU bass 2 ticks-- cause that'll do it..

but i'll blow my door mids.

Lmao //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif

What i'm saying is my mids can't take any more power below 80hz or so.

Wish I had a little more driver capability in that area 60-150hz or so. Midbass.

The stock head unit has slightly weak bass.

I like the bass eq on my hu at +3 or 4 or 5.

Got to back off when system crunk.

----talking about clean- undistorted sound here

Who was it on here that had that gif in their sig that illustrated the proper way to set gains?

Use O-scope to find where it clips, turn it up some more, then turn it up some more, then turn it up a little more.

Who was it on here that had that gif in their sig that illustrated the proper way to set gains?
Use O-scope to find where it clips, turn it up some more, then turn it up some more, then turn it up a little more.
O scope only gets you to a certain point, theres too many musical tracks with different musical recording levels which make no gain setting work for all unless you like being short changed on output. Each song will require close monitoring and adjustments via sub level and head unit volume. Ultimately to keep your equipment safe its heat you need to look out for. Both the sub and amp, if either get hot, you are overstressing the system. If they are ice cold, you arent pushing it anywhere to proper potential. Slight warmth is the sweet spot.

What i'm saying is my mids can't take any more power below 80hz or so.Wish I had a little more driver capability in that area 60-150hz or so. Midbass.

The stock head unit has slightly weak bass.

I like the bass eq on my hu at +3 or 4 or 5.

Got to back off when system crunk.

----talking about clean- undistorted sound here
You need to get rid of the stock head unit simply as that. My buddy has an altima on an audiocontrol lci6 and he thought he sounded clean as well on some alpine comps. To the average joe, yeah they sound decent but to a trained ear, definitely not up to par at all. Swapped over to a proper head unit with A Real head unit with 4 volt preout and a 24 bit DAC and the difference was phenominal out the box. Even better when I ditched his rears went active with his setup, then fully time aligned the drivers and set his 13 band EQ. Instead of sounding like a pair of junk beats by dre head phones he sounds like a legit setup now where you can tell exactly where each instrument and singer in the music is on his dash. Staging and imaging is there now. Detail and clarity is improved drastically along with overall volume level.

What that means is, full midbass where you can tell if someone is playing a drum solo on your dash along withthe notes thumping your chest. The highs make it sound like the music is coming from outside of your car and you have a phantom center stage.

I know you think its good as it is but trust me, it can be miles better. Stock head unit setups are never the way to go unless you have a DSP.

Stock unit is weak. but functional

All in due time.

for now.. it sounds great.

Part of the fun is using what you have and getting the absolute most out of it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.