Swapping headunits for a JVC or Kenwood, from Alpine.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Moofs
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I bought my Alpine CDE 9881 from a pawn shop for 50 bucks back when I had my old car and I recently got a nissan maxima. One thing I rly hate, this headunit has no aux in front or USB. I have had a few people offer me $65 for it (is that a decent price?) and I think I might sell it and get something a little better.

I know crutchfield is usually over priced but their headunits seems fairly priced, especially since they give you all the install stuff and save me around 30 bucks.

I'm not going to do much with this headunit, just listen to music on my ipod. Idk how to tune, etc. I'm also running a passive setup. Both of these have pandora capability which I like.

From these two headunits, which do you think if the better choice. Or do you suggest something else? My MAX budget is $130.

(ps, I need something relatively easy to use since my dad also drives the car occasionally, its technically his)

Here they are:

JVC:

JVC Arsenal KD-AHD65 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Kenwood:

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X396 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

In my experience Jvc is a Much more user friendly unit to use. While both units are good with plenty of features, Ive always felt it is much harder to navigate through the kenwoods interfaces to get to what your looking for.

yeah? How come? It's an older alpine with 2.5V pre amp outs. Wouldn't the Kenwood with 4V pre amp outs sound better?
Preout voltage does not determine a headunits sound quality. The internal components do. Some of the best sounding headunits in the world had a set of 2mv preouts.

Thanks! I'm still on the fence about keeping it. Biggest issue is I can't get a straight answer if the steering wheel adaptor will work with this HU.

1) For someone who understand steering wheel controls. On a few sites it says the alpine is "steering wheel remote ready"

From searching around, I'm told that means when installing this, something in the wiring harness will connect to let me keep my steering wheel controls. Am I correct?

Is it that simple, b/c in that case the alpine would save me money.

2) Will the difference in sound quality really be that noticeable? I would have though for how much stuff the kenwood has, it sound pretty awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.