Taramps hd-5000 putting a hurting on my truck.

inteva6184

Senior VIP Member
pa
Hey just wanted to see what you guys thought my issue and fix is. I have a 2011 f-150 with what I believe to be a 200 amp alternator. I did the big 3 with 0 gauge wire and I ran 0 gauge from the battery to the amp and 0 gauge to my prepped ground. The issue is I am getting some serious voltage drop I haven't even checked at the amp yet but my bs cigarette lighter meter shows me dropping quickly into the 12's and also occasionally into a 11.6 if I let certain songs run at full tilt for a minute. I wouldn't be to worried except occasionally my ppi 900.4 shuts down which tells me I am seeing way to much voltage drop at the amp. I went around checking my connections and they all feel solid so basically before I go nuts I wanted to know is the a common drop for a 5000 watts rms amp? Am i going to need a bigger alt or better battery or do I have another issue? Thanks

One factory battery and a 5k and you wonder why you are dropping bad?
Well considering they claim a maximum draw of 241 on music I obviously new my alternator wasnt enough however I wasn't sure what type of drop below 12 I should expect. So yeah I was wondering if thats normal or not. Considering this is for my first 2k+ amp and I have nothing to gauge it on I figured id ask if it is normal to see that much drop and the best way to fix it. I apologize for not ever doing this or witnessing this before, my bad.

Your truck could have a 150 amp alt, 200, or 220 depends on options. You need a good rear battery. Brazilian amps are designed to be ran with very short power and ground runs to the battery banks. Id recommend the Mi solar 16.5ah lithiums. Could easily fit two of them and have enough power.

Your truck could have a 150 amp alt, 200, or 220 depends on options. You need a good rear battery. Brazilian amps are designed to be ran with very short power and ground runs to the battery banks. Id recommend the Mi solar 16.5ah lithiums. Could easily fit two of them and have enough power.
Thanks for the info. I thought I read all xlt's came with the 200 but I will definitely have to look into it. Adding batteries in the back may be tight but I guess it its a must I will figure it out. Would it be a bad idea to pick up a 350 alt and a good battery in the front and maybe two runs instead of batteries in the back?

Thanks for the info. I thought I read all xlt's came with the 200 but I will definitely have to look into it. Adding batteries in the back may be tight but I guess it its a must I will figure it out. Would it be a bad idea to pick up a 350 alt and a good battery in the front and maybe two runs instead of batteries in the back?
Never a bad idea to upgrade to a better alt. Thats the nice thing about the Lithiums. They are TINY.

MiSolar Energy 12v 16.5Ah Lithium Battery

I'd get a HO alternator and a bank of maxwell ultracaps. Taramps LOVE banks of caps due to the smaller internal capacitance compared to koreans. I know this from experience.

You may also benefit from a dedicated ground run to the battery

Well **** guys, it looks like I just opened up myself another can of worms. Worst part about it is I don't even think its all that loud haha. Thanks for the help I am really going to have to look at my options because space is tight for sure.

Well **** guys, it looks like I just opened up myself another can of worms. Worst part about it is I don't even think its all that loud haha. Thanks for the help I am really going to have to look at my options because space is tight for sure.
Once you keep the voltage up and it's still not that loud you might have another problem
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

same exact sh*t with my buddy on a stock electrical system, his is a jeep with 160 amp alt and an fsd 2600.1 Wasnt loud at all, voltages dropping. Added a big 3, amps stayed a lot cooler, Added a 2nd group 31 battery. SH*T GOT WAAAAAAAY fking louder at 8 clicks below his normal volume level and was ridiculous at his normal volume level. You literally are only getting 1500-2000 watts at best with your electrical and the long 1/0 run vs the recommended short 1/0 runs.

What's loud?!
I guess we all have our different opinions of loud. I have never heard a sound system that has been metered so I couldn't tell you a number I am shooting for or what its producing. I wish there was a way to demonstrate volume with video hahaha.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.