Unsatisfying output from a 12" FI Q.

Anyone ever care to consider, that it's the sub?I find it funny, how you can completely rule out the fact that, maybe he was expecting too much from the sub?

My buddy and I just dropped a dual 2ohm Q in his 1.8 cuft box ported to 32Hz and that thing was hella' impressive. Thanks to shawn for letting us give it a try. Pushed 139.4 on a TL with windows up playing a sweep before the fuse blew. Not bad at all for a single sub. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Sounds like something else isn't set up right, Linxus.

My buddy and I just dropped a dual 2ohm Q in his 1.8 cuft box ported to 32Hz and that thing was hella' impressive. Thanks to shawn for letting us give it a try. Pushed 139.4 on a TL with windows up playing a sweep before the fuse blew. Not bad at all for a single sub. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Sounds like something else isn't set up right, Linxus.

How much power?

i don't think 2 4 inch ports is too much port area at all, sounds perfect, i'm planning on using a single 6 for my future 12 incher...and 2.3 cubes shouldn't be too much, sounds bout right also, tuned to 30ish is good as well...so i don't think the box is the problem unless is super leaky/port lenght done wrong sorta thing....

and from what the man describes, that nothing barely moves on the truck, that definitely doesn't sound right...so i don't think its that he expected too much out of the sub...

i'd definitely like to know what happened in this situation...

whats the sub level on HU at it is turned up ?but you said you set amp gains so that can't be it.

well i was thinking about getting some FI's

but i think i'll go with DD or L7's after reading this.
lawl i'd have liked to have sat you in my truck for a little bit of punishment after reading this. almost guarantee you'd have jumped out as soon as i turned it up.

Well I just recently reinstalled my Q and I am not too happy with the output as well. I have stiffer landing spider as well. (Not that it matters) I am running maybe 900-1000 Rms if I am lucky to it being my electrical needs to be beefed up some more. (Might be some of the problem) I have had this facing back, cabin, up and just about every way and still dont seem to get too loud. I think maybe me being an old spl head has something to do with it. But, then I am not happy with how it sounds either. Have had it in 3 different sealed boxes from 1.5, 1.7 to 1.9 and still not happy. I am not the best at tunning, but have done everything I know to do. I think I was just expecting to much. Still a great company and good peeps running it, just dont think Fi is for me. Not dogging them at all, so dont take it as that. Maybe something else is wrong, who knows. I hate to take it too a shop as they always seem to screw me over. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Might try ported, but I listen to nothing but Rock and alternative.

Well I just recently reinstalled my Q and I am not too happy with the output as well. I have stiffer landing spider as well. (Not that it matters) I am running maybe 900-1000 Rms if I am lucky to it being my electrical needs to be beefed up some more. (Might be some of the problem) I have had this facing back, cabin, up and just about every way and still dont seem to get too loud. I think maybe me being an old spl head has something to do with it. But, then I am not happy with how it sounds either. Have had it in 3 different sealed boxes from 1.5, 1.7 to 1.9 and still not happy. I am not the best at tunning, but have done everything I know to do. I think I was just expecting to much. Still a great company and good peeps running it, just dont think Fi is for me. Not dogging them at all, so dont take it as that. Maybe something else is wrong, who knows. I hate to take it too a shop as they always seem to screw me over. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
what other common subs can u compare the q to as far as output goes?

why would you get the stiff spider and push it with that much power?

with the normal spider bigbassman rated the sub up to 1800rms on music!

the stiff spider is going to make it less sensitive, so you'll need more power to get the same output.

the box sux!
2x4" ports. whatlength? they should be over 120" long to get it down to 30hz

just close as good as you can one of the ports.

the other remaining should be 12" long

edit:

the tune should be 30-31hz
ports should each be 29" long by my calculation:

http://www.psp-inc.com/psp-inc.com/cgi-bin/port_length_calculator.cgi

i'm guessing he made them as long as possible, while still being straight.

not sure what the OP's problem is. i'd recheck wiring/gains.

whats your sub control set to on the HU? and have you tried messing with the bass settings on your HU? Turn up both of those and see what happens. Maybe your bass is on negatives.

whats your sub control set to on the HU? and have you tried messing with the bass settings on your HU? Turn up both of those and see what happens. Maybe your bass is on negatives.
why would you want it to be any higher?

why would you want it to be any higher?
keep it at least on 0

at least for me at least......ive tried negatives, and then went all the way up to +2 (same deck as you) and the sub hits alot harder. I know its only supposed to control your fronts, but i guess every system is different.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.