Vehicle won't start after sub/stereo install

Ecarter

2009 Jeep Compass. Manual. No backup camera with the Pioneer DVD deck that I am installing.

So, my headlights, dummy lights and cap all come on automatically when key is in the ignition. Cap should not come on until I at least turn the key on accessory, and lights should not come on without physically turning them on. No sound, and deck does not come on, but I have voltage light on cap.

I'm versed in electrical work, but this was my first go with a stereo install. Hence, I have encountered a problem I am unfamiliar with.

I triple checked making sure all connections were solid and not sloppy or lose, and made sure that I had good grounds. Everything was a straightforward install with the exception of three wires where there was some guess work (everything except the grounds and front/rear left/right speaker hookups).

I unplugged the stereo, and the vehicle started right up without hesitation. So, this tells me that I have a wiring issue within my splices. I am confident in all of the connections, with the exception of the three which are not grounds and 4 door speaker wires.

Can someone shed some light on which wire I have simply crossed to give me his issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to know what each wire is to fix this-

Besides power, ground, IGNITION(usually red) and 8 speaker wires, you have the following-

Power antenna- this is your antenna wire in case you have a power antenna

Dimmer wire- not necessary to be wired up

remote wire- for add-on external devices like amps, processors, led lights, etc This will NOT be used either if you do not have any.

Did you buy a wiring kit to plug into the factory molex or did you snip all the wires behind the factory head unit and connect direct?

I can't imagine how hooking up a radio wrong prevents your vehicle from starting if you only used the wires connected to the radio.

I picked up a wiring harness, and it was not the right one for the factory harness to adapt to. So, snipped wires behind factory HU, and did a direct connect.

I picked up a wiring harness, and it was not the right one for the factory harness to adapt to. So, snipped wires behind factory HU, and did a direct connect.
seriously??? just pick up the proper wiring harness... now you got a ghetto @ss install badge on yours system and all sorts of problems. You never snip anything from the factory ever.

And you really don't know whats wrong... Jeez. Like Jeff said, cutting a factory plug is a big no no.

I'd splice the harness back in , and get the correct adapter.

or process of elimination if you have a mulimeter handy some time and patience......or see first statement

Yeaahhh, I'll be splicing factory harness back in, and trying to find correct aftermarket stereo harness adapter. Lesson learned the hard way. And, a mistake you learn from by making it once. Data bus won't allow direct connect to aftermarket HU ? Now I know

But, thanks to all for the input. Appreciate the help for the helpless lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.