Viper 791xv owners, check in

M@nJo
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
bay area
the Viper 791xv is a great car alarm and favorable choice. but on this forum, i see various threads with concerns/problems about their Viper 791xv alarm. so i would just like for those who are Viper 791xv owners just fill out this simple survey.

1) did you buy your Viper 791xv new or used?

2) who installed it? is he or she certified of electronic installs?

3) did you have any problems? if so, what was the problem and has it been fixed?

4) 1 being the lowest, 10 highest; how satisfied are you with your Viper 791xv?

just an question for me: i have a brand new Viper 791xv comming in the mail (thanks to HCCAfan), im deciding whether to pay my friend $100 (who has been installing mobile audio/alarms for circuit city for the past few months, or bring it into a pro shop and pay $250 and get a gauranteed install w/install warranty.

1) I bought it new

2) A Certified Electronic Store

3) None yet had it for about 6 months

4) 9, **** near perfect = A ten would meen that it is flawless and no system is flawless!

And about that install, unless you live in a high crime area dont get the warranty its not really needed. I would still go witht the professionals for 250 and get the warranty since your friend could mess it up and you would have no warranty to fix it.... ugghh i think i just said to not do one thing then to do it

Stop by your friend's Circuit City on his day off, talk to the assistant manager, and ask him if he would let the said installer work on his own car. Being a Circuit City installer myself for a year and a half...yes I could do them just fine after a couple months, but theres a guy I work with who has installed with me for a year now and I wouldnt let him touch my car with a 10 foot pole. Depends on the installer.

And about that install, unless you live in a high crime area dont get the warranty its not really needed.
Please do not listen to this kid. Working at both Circuit City and Best Buy in the past has shown me that you should get a warranty with every single product you purchase from either of those stores. We had MANY alarms come back with fualty brains or relay packs. Dont get me wrong, out of all the alarms i've installed, DEI is by far the best but even still I would try to get a warranty if its not too much trouble. If you have it installed at a shop, make sure they have a lifetime gaurantee on their installation. If they dont, dont have it installed there. You shouldnt have to pay extra either for warranty on installation. There are too many variables that can go wrong over time with an alarm to not get a warranty. Especially if you dont know how to work on it yourself.

As far as choosing your friend over a shop, well none of us can help you with that. You need to know whether or not this kid is the real deal and if he's only done a few alarms or if he's got some experience.

What kind of car do you have? With certain vehicles, I would have it installed at a shop regardless of your installer friend's skill. Some of the newer cars are a little tricky and one small mistake can mean a huge bill to get fixed. For example in a lot of the newer GM's, if you dont program the transponder correctly the car wont start and you'll have to get it towed to the dealership so they can reprogram the keys. A very small seamingly harmless mistake that ends up costing $500+ and a huge headache.

1 bought new

2 Brother did he MECP cert

3 Had a year no problems

4 a 9, battery remote dont last very long

The problems were in the 790 xv, I had one of those and got free upgrade. There were some bugs in first few runs of 790 and thats why 791 came out

I dont have a 791, however, I did have a brain (550) go bad on me that was installed in a used car I had bought. I called DEI, sent in the brain with no receipt, and they sent me a brand new unit. They didnt ask who had done the install and gave me no problems whatsoever. Now this was probably 5 years ago or so, but if their customer service is still as good, I wouldn't worry about buying it from an authorized dealer.

Please do not listen to this kid. Working at both Circuit City and Best Buy in the past has shown me that you should get a warranty with every single product you purchase from either of those stores. We had MANY alarms come back with fualty brains or relay packs. Dont get me wrong, out of all the alarms i've installed, DEI is by far the best but even still I would try to get a warranty if its not too much trouble. If you have it installed at a shop, make sure they have a lifetime gaurantee on their installation. If they dont, dont have it installed there. You shouldnt have to pay extra either for warranty on installation. There are too many variables that can go wrong over time with an alarm to not get a warranty. Especially if you dont know how to work on it yourself.
As far as choosing your friend over a shop, well none of us can help you with that. You need to know whether or not this kid is the real deal and if he's only done a few alarms or if he's got some experience.

What kind of car do you have? With certain vehicles, I would have it installed at a shop regardless of your installer friend's skill. Some of the newer cars are a little tricky and one small mistake can mean a huge bill to get fixed. For example in a lot of the newer GM's, if you dont program the transponder correctly the car wont start and you'll have to get it towed to the dealership so they can reprogram the keys. A very small seamingly harmless mistake that ends up costing $500+ and a huge headache.

x100213984712095871239857123079106

I RARELY do a complex install outside of work simply because even if I do **** up, which i never have, I personally am responsible. If i mess somthing up at work, work picks up the bill

1) did you buy your Viper 791xv new or used?

2) who installed it? is he or she certified of electronic installs?

3) did you have any problems? if so, what was the problem and has it been fixed?

4) 1 being the lowest, 10 highest; how satisfied are you with your Viper 791xv?

1)New

2)Friend. He is not certified

3)No problems, had it 2 yrs now.

4)9, low remote battery life as well.

If I had to do it again, I would have paid to get it installed by a DEI certified installer. Not that I have had any issues, I am just recently a firm believer in warranties and supporting local businesses.....

Please do not listen to this kid.
Its not worth paying 200 some dollars to have someone install it. The only reason you get the warranty is if someone takes your stuff and that covers the down payment nothing else. So what is the point of the warranty. I meen unless you live where crime is high no need to spend 200 bones more for something that may not even pay off! - O yea and the warranty for the viper 791xv is only for a year!

Its personal choice though on if you want to gamble 200

Its not worth paying 200 some dollars to have someone install it. The only reason you get the warranty is if someone takes your stuff and that covers the down payment nothing else. So what is the point of the warranty. I meen unless you live where crime is high no need to spend 200 bones more for something that may not even pay off! - O yea and the warranty for the viper 791xv is only for a year!
Its personal choice though on if you want to gamble 200
What the hell are you talking about??!?!?

I get the impression you're not talking about the warranty on the brain in case of defects.... because if you were you'd know that Viper has a lifetime warranty....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.