Water in doors

Gunk

CarAudio.com Regular
Ohio
I have a lot of water coming into one of my front doors. The seals seem to be too small. There is a pretty big gap at both ends of the seal. Ive poored water down the window and just watched it flow straight into the door cavity. The only replacement i found is like $50. Thing is, i dont want to replace it if is just going to be another one the same size as this one... Its just too short.

Have you guys ever hear of these things shrinking over time? It is a 16 yr old vehicle.

Attachments

• IMG_20200103_082317.jpg
    IMG_20200103_082317.jpg
    758.1 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_20200103_082221__01.jpg
    IMG_20200103_082221__01.jpg
    622.9 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_20200103_082257__01.jpg
    IMG_20200103_082257__01.jpg
    864.9 KB · Views: 268
Yes they shrink and crack over time. I have the same issue on my volvo. I don't know if the water gets in but I don't really care since I have vibraflex and hushmat inside. If water gets in; it goes directly to the drain holes. I'll change them but not before the car goes into the paint shop.

Yes they shrink and crack over time. I have the same issue on my volvo. I don't know if the water gets in but I don't really care since I have vibraflex and hushmat inside. If water gets in; it goes directly to the drain holes. I'll change them but not before the car goes into the paint shop.
do you have aftermarket speakers in your doors in this vehicle? if so, your not concerned about them getting wet?

maan it just ***** it cost so much for some rubber. I just checked and the price is $63 for one of these. Wish there was some way to fab something for this. Wouldn't have to be perfect, just not the waterfall I currently have.

Since when is $60 a lot? That's peanuts. The water drains at the bottom of the door to begin with so who cares.
Hey man, I don't have deep pockets. I work hard for my $. I'm trying to do everything I can to save a dollar.

The weep holes are technically for condensation, not for water coming in through the seals. My Chevy truck used to do this also. i tried to use an old window squeegee and some super glue to fill the small gap, but it didn’t work.

The weep holes are technically for condensation, not for water coming in through the seals. My Chevy truck used to do this also. i tried to use an old window squeegee and some super glue to fill the small gap, but it didn’t work.
When it rains, its like a waterfall in there. I can use some neoprene to make a shield over the top of the speaker. Just seems crazy for soo much water to be coming in. You can see in my pic that i sealed my acoustic foam in a bag to protect it. Otherwise it would be completely saturated.

I had a similar issue in one of my older cars and my passenger mid got damaged. I ended up using some rubber and plastic material to build a baffle around it to keep water off of the next one and had no problems with water after that.

Those baffles above are the easiest way to fix your problem.
I will admit that when I was a teenager, I fixed the same problem with old Tupperware bowl. I cut the bowl in half and used them as rain shields inside of the doors of my buddies old Nissan hardbody.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.