What Fuse To Use?

Participant count
  • Participant list

venoxcide

US
Hi,

I'm doing an upgrade to my system and I'll be running two amps:

1) Mids/Highs: Pioneer GM-D8604 - It will be doing about 300-350W RMS of output.

2) Bass: Pioneer GM-D9601 - Around 600W RMS of output. (I know this amp goes way higher but I'll be matching to my subs)

I already have a 120 amp ANL fuse and I'm wondering if that should be fine, or if I should pick up a 150 amp one.

I'm asking because the bass amp has 3x 40 amp fuses on it, but for 600W it shouldn't be using anywhere near that for a Class D?

Also, I'm using two 300W RMS SVC 4 Ohm subs so when I put them on the amp it should get a 2 Ohm load right?

Thanks alot!

What subs are you using? You could probably push more than RMS to them if it was clean.
2x Pioneer TS-W304R 12". They're rated for 300 RMS each. Maybe they could take 400 if clean but I don't know.

They can take it. Just don't expect them to handle it below box tuning.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

Also, fuse to the wires capacity.

They can take it. Just don't expect them to handle it below box tuning.
Running a sealed box for the time being. I want to get a really good custom ported one made but I don't have the time or money right now so I just stuck them in a decent sealed one.

Do you have any recommendation on the fuse? Is 120 amp enough or should I get one of the 150s?

EDIT: Alright thanks!

if you switch to a ported box, you're going to have to lose that amp. It doesn't have a subsonic filter built in. And those Pioneers do NOT like playing heavily below tuning. If it were me, I wouldn't even port them. Sealed is your friend with those subs

The 120a is fine because that amp will never pull over 120a daily. Usually around half of that

Running a sealed box for the time being. I want to get a really good custom ported one made but I don't have the time or money right now so I just stuck them in a decent sealed one.
Do you have any recommendation on the fuse? Is 120 amp enough or should I get one of the 150s?

EDIT: Alright thanks!
What size wire? And what brand? Make sure whichever brand and size you're using can handle a 150.

if you switch to a ported box, you're going to have to lose that amp. It doesn't have a subsonic filter built in. And those Pioneers do NOT like playing heavily below tuning. If it were me, I wouldn't even port them. Sealed is your friend with those subs
The 120a is fine because that amp will never pull over 120a daily. Usually around half of that
Well I haven't actually bought the amp yet, I'm ordering today so what amp would you recommend that will push those subs to their full potential in a sealed box and have a little headroom for future upgrades?

What size wire? And what brand? Make sure whichever brand and size you're using can handle a 150.
Its a KnuKonceptz true 4 AWG 100% OFC power wire.

I just replaced my original DB Link CCA 4 AWG with this and its definitely thicker and heavier.

That amp says 600W RMS @ 1 Ohm.

My subs are 4 Ohm each SVC so the amp will see a 2 Ohm load when both are connected. That amp at 2 Ohms is only 300W RMS.

Are Hifonics amps any good? I was looking at the Hifonics ZRX1816.

I want something a little more powerful than exactly what the subs are going to require because I'm definitely going to keep upgrading over the next few years.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.