What happens if i put a 2 ohm speaker with a 4 ohm amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

aolm

NJ
What happens if i push a 2 ohm speaker with a 4 ohm amp? Is this true from MTX "Wiring subwoofers to the wrong, or unmatched, amplifier impedance is a VERY common cause of blowing amplifiers and burning voice coils in subwoofers" or is this true from sonicelectronix.com "If you’re not an audiophile, does this matter? Honestly, no it does not. Do not let this be a make or break when looking for sound system components. Two of the same subwoofers, just with different impedances, will produce almost the same sound if they are run at the same wattage."

Thanks.

What happens if i push a 2 ohm speaker with a 4 ohm amp? Is this true from MTX "Wiring subwoofers to the wrong, or unmatched, amplifier impedance is a VERY common cause of blowing amplifiers and burning voice coils in subwoofers" or is this true from sonicelectronix.com "If you’re not an audiophile, does this matter? Honestly, no it does not. Do not let this be a make or break when looking for sound system components. Two of the same subwoofers, just with different impedances, will produce almost the same sound if they are run at the same wattage." Thanks.
that depends on what amp u talking about., i u have a mono amp it's diff gonna be able to run at 2 ohms., if u mean a 2 channel bridged to a 2 ohm sub no amp will go into protect mode or overheat.. if u have 2 channel and 2 2 ohm subs or speakers run 1 channel to each thats a 2 ohm stereo load and will work fine.. so what amp/speaker u talking about?

What happens if i push a 2 ohm speaker with a 4 ohm amp? Is this true from MTX "Wiring subwoofers to the wrong, or unmatched, amplifier impedance is a VERY common cause of blowing amplifiers and burning voice coils in subwoofers" or is this true from sonicelectronix.com "If you’re not an audiophile, does this matter? Honestly, no it does not. Do not let this be a make or break when looking for sound system components. Two of the same subwoofers, just with different impedances, will produce almost the same sound if they are run at the same wattage." Thanks.
Both are most likely true. If you try to run an amp below its rated minimum impedance you are risking blowing up the amp. Some are more forgiving than others, and other factors are involved but for the most part, yes, you become much more likely to break things.

Also impedance of the woofer doesn't make much difference in how it sounds but is important to match it properly with your amp so you don't blow your amp.

that depends on what amp u talking about., i u have a mono amp it's diff gonna be able to run at 2 ohms., if u mean a 2 channel bridged to a 2 ohm sub no amp will go into protect mode or overheat.. if u have 2 channel and 2 2 ohm subs or speakers run 1 channel to each thats a 2 ohm stereo load and will work fine.. so what amp/speaker u talking about?
AMP.....Sony EXM-302 running mono 4ohm into Speaker....infinity (baselink) 10 inch 2ohms

Thanks again

AMP.....Sony EXM-302 running mono 4ohm into Speaker....infinity (baselink) 10 inch 2ohms
Thanks again
so u want to bridge a 2 channel amp to a ohm sub no your amp will overheat and or go into protect and do nothing.. u need mono amp that does 3-500rms at 2 ohm or a d2 sub wired to 4 ohm to use amp u have.. i thought the bass link had amp on it??.. honestly u need a better amp and sub.. infinity 551 i think it is was tested by 1 of our guys to to bout 650rms as well as the jbl 500 (probably same amp) u can find these new for around $100, u can hook it to your sub and later we can help u find a d4 sub to run that amp at 2 ohm later and get lot more bass than the the infinity if u do ported box with $100 sub, sound qubed has 12's $85 couple more days..

so u want to bridge a 2 channel amp to a ohm sub no your amp will overheat and or go into protect and do nothing.. u need mono amp that does 3-500rms at 2 ohm or a d2 sub wired to 4 ohm to use amp u have.. i thought the bass link had amp on it??.. honestly u need a better amp and sub.. infinity 551 i think it is was tested by 1 of our guys to to bout 650rms as well as the jbl 500 (probably same amp) u can find these new for around $100, u can hook it to your sub and later we can help u find a d4 sub to run that amp at 2 ohm later and get lot more bass than the the infinity if u do ported box with $100 sub, sound qubed has 12's $85 couple more days..
... i'm running an 8 inch ported sub with the vintage Sony EXM-302, 150 watts mono (big improvement over factory audio)... my baselink integrated amp died after years of use. I like the Rockford Fosgate R250X1 better, especially with the remote level. The remote looks the same (telephone type wire connection) as my old infinity baselink remote, do you think it will work? Tks

... i'm running an 8 inch ported sub with the vintage Sony EXM-302, 150 watts mono (big improvement over factory audio)... my baselink integrated amp died after years of use. I like the Rockford Fosgate R250X1 better, especially with the remote level. The remote looks the same (telephone type wire connection) as my old infinity baselink remote, do you think it will work? Tks
most won't work on other amps.. u can get pioneer 3003 for $80 and the jbl amp i told u about it would do well on that amp..

Hey, sorry to jump on your thread OP, I just have a problem too and maybe some help, probably just the problem. Your just getting advice from my car audio Mentor so I thought I would jump in. Hey Boomin I have a conundrum like you not believe. Actually it's pretty big so I'm just going to start a new thread

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.