What is it about rap(and pop)?

I usually listen to rap for the beat of the music. The lyrics used to be god, now it's just rappers bragging about their money/fame/or hoe count. However, the basslines are usually sick.

It used to be people trying to help under privileged understand there is more than the streets. That the tough times they were facing were temporary, and with hard work, anything was possible. It used to be something they could relate to. Now, it is all about rich boys claiming they have a life you never could.

Rap is nearly non-existent today. Pop is worthless stuff made to match the local teen music boner, written by someone different than it is performed and sang by.

Music is an escape for most, though, so if people like it, there should be a genre for everyone.

Early rap always had a message, and was easy to understand and usually went against the norm of the time. I remember 2 Live Crew and Larry Flynt fighting for peoples right to express themselves and helped Americans gain freedoms that just decades before, could have lead to imprisonment. I like early rap because of the messages and stories that were told, and they were actual stories!! Wasn't a lie made up to portray an image of a rapper as a bad-as-s. I HATE POP. Exact opposite of the reason I like Rap.

Most of what passes for rap music these days is basically a 40hz sine wave and some 70IQ sociopath with a vocabulary smaller than that of Coco the gorilla (over 300 words) dressed like a clown grunting about committing crime, his pen!s, or shiny trinkets. It's the 40hz sine wave part that attracts most people since you don't see many people listening to that who don't own subwoofers.

I used to listen to rap a while back. I used to listen to a lot of 3-6 mafia. Then, went to hard rock, which i still listen to today. I think I will listen to 90% hard rock, the rest of my life.

I did recently get some Gucci stuff, and its honestly not bad. I can listen to it. But most of the newer stuff is just horrid. And pop, thats like soda right? LOL

So, it's pretty much just the fact that there's fairly consistent bass. That's nice.

stupidity
fonz.jpg

I think its because they try and sing about what Americans dream about. Spending lots of money, cars, women.... They try to appeal to out fantasy side, i however cant stand most of it. All brand names and garbage, but if you search hard enough. You will find people who flow about things that do appeal to you, its just not as easy as finding one of these janky ass big rim songs

I'll listen to older, intelligent rap like Black Star. Or some older "gangster" rap that still had good stories/messages like Mobb Deep. Newer stuff I can't stand. My preference is definitely classic rock, specifically Zep. I don't listen to much new rock outside of my Them Crooked Vultures album.

Well when you go out to the popular bars, lounges, clubs, etc... That's all you're gonna hear.

I don't see what other types of music that you could work out to besides rap and rock.

I tend to go towards the classic rock era, even though it seems that I don't really like rap. I still won't play it on my system! It is all a matter of personal preference in the end.

Only time I listen to new rap, is if I know it has a slick beat as like everyone else mentioned, the lyrics are crap! 99.9% of them have never went through a hardship, like back in the day what true rappers/lyricists went through. They rapped about what was real and hit close to home with them. Know it is about what the producers tell you to rap about......or it seems that way. That or the streets aren't as gangsta as they used to be, lol!

It is funny....when I was a kid, I used to laugh at my parents for the music they listen to. Now 70% of what I listen to is what they did. I actually used to take copies of my moms CD's and burn them to jam to. Heck, I still have all their record albums and pull out the player from time to time. Nothing like listening to an old record!

Now, I started getting into Skrillex and the like. Don't have to hear any BS blabbering from these wannabe rappers, but instead, get a sick beat with an awesome bass line! Win-win IMO!

Still love my 80's, classic rock and funk though, haha!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.