What is the difference between 12" subs and 15" subs?

One thing that foote seems to be completely missing in all of his drawings is that even if sub A has a smaller piston surface than sub B, if sub B's excursion is twice that of sub A, then sub A would have to have twice as much piston surface to make up for that. Which is why it doesn't really make that big of a difference on a properly motorized subwoofer as long as you put it in the proper box.

And for once i have to agree with audioholic although he pisses me off a lot. Proper integration is what is really important. If you need your subsection to play 100hz tones to keep up with your next smallest driver you'd be best off getting a 10", if you have 8" midbasses in the front and you can cross your subwoofer over at 50hz, go with a ****in 18" if you have the room. These are very generalized statements so don't call me out on them.

Because of course someone is going to throw in that pro-sound high effeciency 18"s play all the way up to 400hz blah blah blah.

well show me (foote) where fs doesn't drop in same model... or output which falls under the category of "performance" doesn't go up...
i said show foote cause i frankly don't give a FVCK i'm playing devil's advocate remember?
I see you dont even read the stuff you quote, and then blow off as ********. That's called ignorance perpetuating itself, learn to learn you idiot. Let me requote what I already said for you earlier. And I do this not because you are worth the effort, you are not, but rather because I do so enjoy pointing out your stupidity...
This same old arguement. Someone (falsely) makes the claim that cone size is determinate on output ability or low-end response. People argue a while. Then OP brings on specs from lines of subs that shows a lower Fs as sub sizes increase, proof he thinks. Unfortunately he's lost track of the fact that just because for a given line of woofers, the Fs goes lower upon increasing model size, this does not mean cone size is determinate on low-end reponse.
Read, comprehend, learn.

One thing that foote seems to be completely missing in all of his drawings is that even if sub A has a smaller piston surface than sub B, if sub B's excursion is twice that of sub A, then sub A would have to have twice as much piston surface to make up for that. Which is why it doesn't really make that big of a difference on a properly motorized subwoofer as long as you put it in the proper box.
so a sub with the same motor will have 2x the excursion?!?

well i guess you could give the smaller version of the sub a stronger motor...

wait don't they do the opposite?

and i **** at physics

And for once i have to agree with audioholic although he pisses me off a lot.
Its not my fault you are wrong so often, and seem to dislike being told that you in fact are.
j/k //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

I see you dont even read the stuff you quote, and then blow off as ********. That's called ignorance perpetuating itself, learn to learn you idiot. Let me requote what I already said for you earlier. And I do this not because you are worth the effort, you are not, but rather because I do so enjoy pointing out your stupidity...
Read, comprehend, learn.
mk what does it depend on, i havent heard you say that??

Its not my fault you are wrong so often, and seem to dislike being told that you in fact are.
j/k //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif
LOL, you know what happens is that i generalize and make things simpler for people and you don't know the depth of my knowledge so you think i am thinking there is nothing more to something than what i typed even though i know it is more complicated and i'm just trying to help someone else out. Then you slam me for not getting detailed enough and tell me i'm wrong.

LOL, you know what happens is that i generalize and make things simpler for people and you don't know the depth of my knowledge so you think i am thinking there is nothing more to something than what i typed even though i know it is more complicated and i'm just trying to help someone else out. Then you slam me for not getting detailed enough and tell me i'm wrong.
knowledge doesn't get you 15 medels and a christy yamaguchi lifetime achievement award

mk what does it depend on, i havent heard you say that??
You cant even comprise a coherant question on the matter, can you? What does low-end response depend on? How about the enclosure size/type/alignment for one?
But then Foote will return to say he's arguing same enclosure, same power, ec etc, as he claimed a few pages back. But again, this all leads to the circular logic arguement I mentioned earlier. More confusion to hide the fact you, and Foote, are acting like jackasses. And no, I dont mean for being wrong... we're all wrong sometimes. You are acting like jackasses because of the way you act whnen you are told that you are wrong. The 'youre all just a bunch of idiots and my 19 year old brain knows more than anyone else on this board' attitude. Its that same attitude that, again, perpetuates your ignorance. Your ego wont allow the possibility you might be wrong, which in turn deprives you of the opportunity to learn.

For example, earlier you were so busy requoting me and chaging words like a school kid that you failed to even read what I said, thereby missing the already-given answer to your soon to be given question. Seriously, quit being so defensive about being wrong, and not being the expert you thought you were, and maybe you'll actually start leaning. Hell maybe one day you'd actually be the expert you already think you are.

is this a better question...how do people decide on what size subwoofer(s) to get? (besides the obvious reason...space issues)
IMO...two and only two reasons

1. Size preference. I run 8s because I think it is cool to try to get loud with an 8. (Notice the subjectivity)

2. I have an x-cab truck can can't fit 20 18" subs (like you already mentioned)

Just so you know, I find that answer acceptable. You are now off my **** list, for the moment.
I hope you feel better, I know I do.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.