What would you do?

I'm probably not going to tell you any advice you're necessarily looking for, but IF you do end up building this next box yourself... be sure to do a bit of research on how to properly port a box. It's a bit more than cutting a rectangle or a couple circles in the box. The actual port of a ported box is everything as far as how you want it to sound. Research a bit about port area, or simply just go on youtube/google and look up "how to build a subwoofer box". Exocontralto definitely has a few nice beginner tutorials that helped me out a lot when I started out building my first box.
Appreciate your advice! Like I said above. I built my box in woodshop in highschool. It was free wood, nothing but time. I didn't know ANYTHING about cubes/feet or how to build boxes, and that specific subs has it's own specs on how to build a box. I was just told 'hey man put dividers in it and it'll sound better' he was correct. It made my kickers sound great. I love how they sound. But I'm sure if it was built exactly how it was supposed to it would sound even better. But, i'd love to do some research and built my own again. Yet I probably wont, I don't have the time or tools to do it myself. I heard High Output Enclosures does a decent job so I think im going to have them built me a box.. Though it's a bit pricy at about $250-300.. so Im not sure. I may just have lowes cut my wood, and see if I can't find a friend with some tools. But If I do i'll definitely check out his videos, thanks for the advice!

Appreciate your advice! Like I said above. I built my box in woodshop in highschool. It was free wood, nothing but time. I didn't know ANYTHING about cubes/feet or how to build boxes, and that specific subs has it's own specs on how to build a box. I was just told 'hey man put dividers in it and it'll sound better' he was correct. It made my kickers sound great. I love how they sound. But I'm sure if it was built exactly how it was supposed to it would sound even better. But, i'd love to do some research and built my own again. Yet I probably wont, I don't have the time or tools to do it myself. I heard High Output Enclosures does a decent job so I think im going to have them built me a box.. Though it's a bit pricy at about $250-300.. so Im not sure. I may just have lowes cut my wood, and see if I can't find a friend with some tools. But If I do i'll definitely check out his videos, thanks for the advice!
Like I said, I definitely recommend Exocontralto on youtube. He's an awesome guy, and you'll learn a lot from him and catch your jaw dropping every now and then. For the next box I'm building I'm going to have Home Depot cut it and then leech off of a friend and use his workshop similar to what you had in mind. Having Lowes cut your wood, is i'm sure a smart way to go. Pretty sure it's free as well, so that's a plus!

I might also suggest instead of paying hundreds of dollars for someone to build the box for you, to just skip half of the original work and get a skilled box designer like CarAudioFabrication (Car Audio Fabrication - Custom Techniques , Video Tutorials Car Audio), or RAM Designs (RAM Designs - Custom Quote) and have them professionally design the box for you. Then it's as simple as gluing and screwing it together for the most part. Good luck!

Like I said, I definitely recommend Exocontralto on youtube. He's an awesome guy, and you'll learn a lot from him and catch your jaw dropping every now and then. For the next box I'm building I'm going to have Home Depot cut it and then leech off of a friend and use his workshop similar to what you had in mind. Having Lowes cut your wood, is i'm sure a smart way to go. Pretty sure it's free as well, so that's a plus!
I might also suggest instead of paying hundreds of dollars for someone to build the box for you, to just skip half of the original work and get a skilled box designer like CarAudioFabrication (Car Audio Fabrication - Custom Techniques , Video Tutorials Car Audio), or RAM Designs (RAM Designs - Custom Quote) and have them professionally design the box for you. Then it's as simple as gluing and screwing it together for the most part. Good luck!
Perfect! I was just thinking about lookign around seeing if someone could design a box for a price. But now I have two to choose from. Any advice on which to choose? Or are they both about the same? I'd much rather spend $30-50 ish on some plans and then just build my own.. Sure it may take awhile to build it, but it would beat spending $250-300 on a box.. Thanks!

Perfect! I was just thinking about lookign around seeing if someone could design a box for a price. But now I have two to choose from. Any advice on which to choose? Or are they both about the same? I'd much rather spend $30-50 ish on some plans and then just build my own.. Sure it may take awhile to build it, but it would beat spending $250-300 on a box.. Thanks!
Both are without a doubt extremely talented. I know Ryan at Ram designs has literally designed hundreds of boxes from simple to the extremely complex ones and does a great job doing it. Mark at CAF is definitely more of 'fabrication' type of guy, but definitely knows how to design a box as well. He also has nearly 100 videos of fabrication/car audio related tutorials/videos on Youtube with over 20,000 subscribers. Mark is a cool guy. I've talked to him personally and I plan on having my next box designed by him solely because of his personality. I honestly have never talked with Ryan at Ram Designs, but his work is definitely impressive.

Both are without a doubt extremely talented. I know Ryan at Ram designs has literally designed hundreds of boxes from simple to the extremely complex ones and does a great job doing it. Mark at CAF is definitely more of 'fabrication' type of guy, but definitely knows how to design a box as well. He also has nearly 100 videos of fabrication/car audio related tutorials/videos on Youtube with over 20,000 subscribers. Mark is a cool guy. I've talked to him personally and I plan on having my next box designed by him solely because of his personality. I honestly have never talked with Ryan at Ram Designs, but his work is definitely impressive.
Perfect! I really appreciate your response. Helps a ton. Thank you sir!

One other question. Going with 2 VFL 8's on a PPI 1000.1.. What guage wire would you recommend? I was thinking 0.. or 1/0, whatever. Would that be okay, or is that overkill? Should I go with something like 4?

Perfect! I really appreciate your response. Helps a ton. Thank you sir!One other question. Going with 2 VFL 8's on a PPI 1000.1.. What guage wire would you recommend? I was thinking 0.. or 1/0, whatever. Would that be okay, or is that overkill? Should I go with something like 4?
I would personally go with 1/0 gauge. Might as well... Doesn't hurt anything; only helps. But that's just me.

Appreciate all the help guys! Will probably use this setup in my next car.. Totaled my 3000 on Wednesday.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Did a few of these cars over the years.

If anyone ever ends up with a 3000 or stealth, the loudest we achieved while maintaining good sound was with 2 10" drivers in a 4th order setup. Using a down firing enclosure for the rear port chamber and sealing it to the floor for the front sealed chamber.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Motokid

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
Motokid
Texas
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date