Which is better??

sx4dude2013
10+ year member

I currently have a 12" RF P2 sub. (4 ohm version). Its a 2010 version I think. (250 RMS)

Is been a great sub in my hatchback.

Sometimes the bass doesnt seem very crisp. Its in a ported box BTW.

Would a Boston Acoustics G312-4 be a good option? Is that a good sub/brand? Would I be a "major" upgrade??

Thanks!!!

Going from a Rockford P2 to a Boston woofer will be a HUGE upgrade. Personally, I like the sound of the new Boston woofers whereas I think the newer Fosgate stuff is boomy get doesn't dig deep. Just sounds kinda blah. A loud blah...but blah nonetheless.

Ditch the prefab ported box too. Those things are made to be as small and light as possible (cheap) and they're never tuned right. A slightly oversized sealed box for the Boston woofer and a solid 3-400w will surprise you. Boston has always made good stuff and I think you'll be happy with it.

BA subs have some very good sq for their classes though the g3's and the spg555 retail for more than they should imo. Put the G3 in 1.8-2cubes ported tuned to 33hz and it will blow away that ****** p2 in sq and spl. They will easily hold 500wrms (or even a little more) too because it has a 2.5in coil, their power ratings are really under rated.

I had one 10" BA G3 in a sealed box with 400watts going to it, and I was really impressed with the sub. The clarity of the bass, being able to handle all the notes was great. Wished I was able to hear it in a ported box before I sold it! I paid $125 for it new, and I thought that was a great price considering the quality of this sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.