Why aren't more of you guys using horns?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKag2CSOvbw

Saw this randomly on youtube, I believe those are the horns in question with the Selenium tweeters. Seem very loud and clear, even though thats firing outside, lol.

I cant imagine where you would install those in a car however, //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. TnT Sounds, do you have any pics of your install of them? Just curious.

indeed, i ahve a set of ID ultra drivers with full and mini bodies, they wont fit in my truck but there are plenty of vehicles they will fit. that and theres alot more to it tha njsut putting horns, it takes a fair amount of knowledge and processing to make them sound good. Mine are BNIB and for sale //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
how much for just the mini bodies? I have full body cd2's but the full body does not fit.

is there a thread that explains the instalation and aplication for horns? or can someone explain it for me, will horns play midbass as well or better than a conventional midbass driver and in what case would you use horns and what case would you not use them? Thanks
ID has some stuff posted on youtube.

No, horns are not meant for midbass. Basically they are really efficient tweeters, that play much lower than your conventional 1" dome tweeter. A well designed horn can play down to 1khz no issue, I don't know of many 1" dome tweeters that can play that low without imploding.

The Selenium D250s with the long throw horns can play to around 300hz, with around 100rms. All this and some insane sensitivity.
I'd use those Seleniums if I only cared about ear bleeding loud, otherwise IMO they're pretty useless without some serious installation and tuning skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBSgyrOrFK4

youtube for horns. also a pair of full body cd2pro, and ultra's can play down to 800 hz at 24db with no prob. only take 40 watts //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif. the stuff you guys are comparing ID horns, crystal horns, and USD horns to doesn't even hold water to their stuff. I'm running a set of ultra fullbodies using a cd7100 for processing and it sounds awesome.

the guy with the civic who said no room there's room you might have to move a few things around but there's room seen it done lots of times.

I'd use those Seleniums if I only cared about ear bleeding loud, otherwise IMO they're pretty useless without some serious installation and tuning skills.
When Im building a loud car, thats all I care about. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBSgyrOrFK4
youtube for horns. also a pair of full body cd2pro, and ultra's can play down to 800 hz at 24db with no prob. only take 40 watts //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif. the stuff you guys are comparing ID horns, crystal horns, and USD horns to doesn't even hold water to their stuff. I'm running a set of ultra fullbodies using a cd7100 for processing and it sounds awesome.

the guy with the civic who said no room there's room you might have to move a few things around but there's room seen it done lots of times.
Please tell me how ID's compression drivers are so much better than something that B&C has to offer?

it's not so much the drivers as it is the horn body. the body is what makes a world of difference.
Uhh, durrr?

ID seems to be probably the only company that makes horn bodies designed for cars. Though, it's not a fair comparison, because outside of their respective applications I don't expect optimal performance from either style.

I know it's doable, but what I'm saying is, if I were to build speakers for HT and wanted to use horns, my first thought wouldn't be ID horn bodies, I'd pick up a regular flare from PE for dirt cheap.

Same goes for car, though ID bodies aren't cheap, my first though would be ID bodies.

Horsewill makes a very good point, comparing ID horns to the ones I posted is a night and day difference. I would love a set of Ultras, but dont have the processing to tune them with my current HU //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif, or the money for them either lol.

If I was seriously going the horn route, thats prob what I would do. Though, for a none critical install for a average basshead, I imagine the Selenium would work ok, if you can find room.

Horsewill makes a very good point, comparing ID horns to the ones I posted is a night and day difference. I would love a set of Ultras, but dont have the processing to tune them with my current HU //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif, or the money for them either lol.
If I was seriously going the horn route, thats prob what I would do. Though, for a none critical install for a average basshead, I imagine the Selenium would work ok, if you can find room.
He was really talking about the bodies, not the drivers them selves. Chances are ID uses a modified B&C or Selenium driver for their horns. I don't know this for certain, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.