expensive mids

95Prober
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Canada
well, i believe these are the top of the line from Boston Acoustics, but pricey!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32819&item=5780103184&rd=1

are they really worth thinking about ? i mean how would they compare vs. the RE XXX MIDS?? i mean, XXX MIDs vs. Boston Mids WITHOUT tweeters?

also, they say 3ohms > does that mean a 4 ohm load is ok on them?

and the power rating says up to 400 watts. does that mean they are 400 rms speakers? it doesnt say on their website

any input/info? thx

Go with the bostons, and dont even think twice about it. They are 3 ohms, but most all multi channel amps are 2 ohm stable, so you shouldnt have to worry about anything.

Go with the bostons, and dont even think twice about it. They are 3 ohms, but most all multi channel amps are 2 ohm stable, so you shouldnt have to worry about anything.
but can u put a 2 ohm load on a 3 ohm load? arent you ONLY supposed to go higher or equal than what it says?

well, i believe these are the top of the line from Boston Acoustics, but pricey!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32819&item=5780103184&rd=1

are they really worth thinking about ? i mean how would they compare vs. the RE XXX MIDS?? i mean, XXX MIDs vs. Boston Mids WITHOUT tweeters?

also, they say 3ohms > does that mean a 4 ohm load is ok on them?

and the power rating says up to 400 watts. does that mean they are 400 rms speakers? it doesnt say on their website

any input/info? thx
Considering the XXX mids will have probably twice the linear displacement, give you a 2 ohm load off the bat, and won't even come close to that price (after buying the mids, you have what? another $300 to spend on tweeters? - that's one **** nice set of tweeters) - I can't think of much of a reason to go with the Boston set other than they are already a set.

Boston (well, when buying from an authorized dealer from their store) has one of the best return policies on the planet - that would be part of the reason they are so expensive. You pop them for any reason, I've never seen a dealer so much as question it, they just replace it on the spot.

Considering the XXX mids will have probably twice the linear displacement, give you a 2 ohm load off the bat, and won't even come close to that price (after buying the mids, you have what? another $300 to spend on tweeters? - that's one **** nice set of tweeters) - I can't think of much of a reason to go with the Boston set other than they are already a set.
Boston (well, when buying from an authorized dealer from their store) has one of the best return policies on the planet - that would be part of the reason they are so expensive. You pop them for any reason, I've never seen a dealer so much as question it, they just replace it on the spot.
well actually i wasnt planning to get those exactly, just as a comparison between the RE XXX. like which is better of the 2 ?? if i DID want those, i'd just look on ebay or something from a private dealer or on the forums. plus these are retail like over 500$ and up. they must be awesom , no?

its just i heard so much about Boston's and these seem to be their best i assume?? i know the RE XXX can run at 2 ohms and i think are more powerful, but what about their sound quality ON THEIR OWN?

Considering the XXX mids will have probably twice the linear displacement, give you a 2 ohm load off the bat, and won't even come close to that price (after buying the mids, you have what? another $300 to spend on tweeters? - that's one **** nice set of tweeters)

You are forgetting about the $100+ you'll have to spend on an active crossover, plus the necessity of needing 2 more channels of amplification compared to those Boston's, plus the extra RCA's/speaker/Power/Ground wire, and possibly a relay for the REM wire, that would be needed.

Not saying you are wrong....but after all the nickel-n-dime'ing that happens....the final price could easily come out pretty comparably unless you went super cheap (with like LPG tweets and Profile amps, for example). And even then, you are relying on the person installing them to have enough knowledge and training to be able to properly setup an active setup for the best performance.

Yes, you CAN build a passive for the XXX mids....but majority of people don't have 1) the knowledge level to build a GOOD passive crossover, or 2) the proper equipment to actually design a good passive crossover.

IIRC Madisound charges around $100 to design a pair, but then you'd also have the excess $$ involved with the extra shipping to and from them, etc etc....but I'm honestly not sure if that $100 is only for the design process, or if it is actually for the construction and includes parts/labor/etc as I've personally never had them do it.

Back to the original question.....those Boston's sound very nice IMHO. I haven't heard the XXX mids to compare....but, like Jlaine said, the XXX mids have 2x the linear displacement, so they should spank them in midbass output and reap the benefits of using a smaller percentage of their excursion for a given output level.

but can u put a 2 ohm load on a 3 ohm load? arent you ONLY supposed to go higher or equal than what it says?
Don't worry about it, all quality amps are at least 2ohm stable in stereo mode and will work with speakers rated from 2ohms to 16+ohms.

You are forgetting about the $100+ you'll have to spend on an active crossover, plus the necessity of needing 2 more channels of amplification compared to those Boston's, plus the extra RCA's/speaker/Power/Ground wire, and possibly a relay for the REM wire, that would be needed.
Not saying you are wrong....but after all the nickel-n-dime'ing that happens....the final price could easily come out pretty comparably unless you went super cheap (with like LPG tweets and Profile amps, for example). And even then, you are relying on the person installing them to have enough knowledge and training to be able to properly setup an active setup for the best performance.

Yes, you CAN build a passive for the XXX mids....but majority of people don't have 1) the knowledge level to build a GOOD passive crossover, or 2) the proper equipment to actually design a good passive crossover.

IIRC Madisound charges around $100 to design a pair, but then you'd also have the excess $$ involved with the extra shipping to and from them, etc etc....but I'm honestly not sure if that $100 is only for the design process, or if it is actually for the construction and includes parts/labor/etc as I've personally never had them do it.

Back to the original question.....those Boston's sound very nice IMHO. I haven't heard the XXX mids to compare....but, like Jlaine said, the XXX mids have 2x the linear displacement, so they should spank them in midbass output and reap the benefits of using a smaller percentage of their excursion for a given output level.
Active crossover onboard amp = free. 4 channel x 50 watt amp = cheap.

100 x 2 on 2 ohm midbass, 50x2 for 4 ohm tweeters.

Trying to make it sound harder than it is, KISS.

1. Only have 2 channel amp? Sell it and get a 4 channel.

2. Have no amp? Needed to get one anyway.

3. Passives? Meh, 90% of the amps out today will do 2 way active without breaking a sweat. (as will a lot of the head units out today.)

4. Install? No worse than using passives, you still need to do the footwork - you won't be saved buying a premade set.

5. Active is not really harder than passive - set a crossover point after doing some general listening then start finding a location that sounds good. Only thing passive saves you is setting the crossover point, you are denied that added flexibility.

Active crossover on amp? I've never seen an amp that crossed over from 100hz to 1000-1300khz, with the second set being High pass at 13000khz. if there is one it's not "cheap". #2, if he's building an SQ system, he's not going to want that big of a power difference.

Edit: yes i know there are 4 channels with that kind of crossover setup, but not his definition of "cheap" as stated in the post above this.

Active crossover on amp? I've never seen an amp that crossed over from 100hz to 1000-1300khz. #2, if he's building an SQ system, he's not going to want that big of a power difference.
1. I have - start looking around - I run amps that do 3 way active if you want them to.

2. Yes he is, the efficiency difference between the tweeter and the midbass will be big - not to mention he'll only use 10w on the tweeters and probably 50-100 on the midbass for starters - level setting is an amazing thing.

i give up... where are you sqeak?
Give up?

I fail to see why you need backup - are you trying to turn something simple into an argument?

I'm attempting to explain to you why this will work - why are you ignoring the facts presented and instead digging yourself in for a war? It makes no sense.

i know but to find an amp that will crossover like that is about equal to getting a seperate active crossover, isn't it? oh the thing with the watts, forgot about the gain knobs, sorry.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.