How does kicker do it??

The L7's don't sound bad imo its just that they tend to get a little sloppy on the very low frequncies, say under 35hz. Sealed they may not get this sloppiness so i can see how you could get some decent sq out of them.

Sealed I heard the do real good, but I love the way my L7's sound, and compared to other subs I have had like type r's, pioneers etc, there my favorite

I guess I'll answer this the best I can. First off, the substage of a SQ install is probably the least important area the competitors worry about. A sub's frequency range in a SQ install is very limited, they are usually crossed over at 60hz or less. Meaning they honestly aren't reproducing much musical information (no sub is really). Judges are much more concerned about the front stage. Getting the tonality right on a singers voice is much harder than getting a the lowend of a kickdrum. Producing a proper stage width and height are also a major concern, again very little of this involves the sub, once you get it to blend well your done. Basically a full blown SQ install worries about EVERYTHING else before they worry about sub-bass, it's darn near an afterthought in some cases. Beyond this, SQ competitions don't require a high volume level. Even a cheap sub can usually produce clean bass at the required levels. Its not that SQ and bass don't go together, but it's definetly not even close to the most important thing involved.
true, but somehting to also think about is Gary Biggs L710 in the dash, it was not a 'subwoofer'. The problem is, most use 1500-2000 watts, ported box , yet complain about SQ....you have to set goals for what you want, and achieve them...

Ya, after all the bad talk the l7's get, i was suprised at how little SQ i lost going from type-x's to L7's.

I bought the L7's for a summer-only setup, but it's less of a tradeoff than i thought, and they have the potential to get way louder than my x's.

I wonder how much 'kicker has bad sq' complaints come from people who don't set their subsonics correctly on their 45hz prefabs? I know my roomate has his L5 12" hooked up to a 300w kenwood amp with no ssf, and it sounds like ASS, yet i've got two L7 15's in my car, and they're WAY tighter. I think a lot has to do with proper x-over/ssf setup.

Ya, after all the bad talk the l7's get, i was suprised at how little SQ i lost going from type-x's to L7's.
I bought the L7's for a summer-only setup, but it's less of a tradeoff than i thought, and they have the potential to get way louder than my x's.

I wonder how much 'kicker has bad sq' complaints come from people who don't set their subsonics correctly on their 45hz prefabs? I know my roomate has his L5 12" hooked up to a 300w kenwood amp with no ssf, and it sounds like ASS, yet i've got two L7 15's in my car, and they're WAY tighter. I think a lot has to do with proper x-over/ssf setup.
How would ssf affect it unless you had your ssf set real high so you weren't hearing any of the lower notes?

He probably won because he has a killer front stage. Any sub can sound good if only played real low.
which is Kicker too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif and your midbass, does not play 'real low'...

My front stage plays down to 40 hz. Any sub that i throw in for sub bass sounds good. It's all about the front stage.

I guess I'll answer this the best I can. First off, the substage of a SQ install is probably the least important area the competitors worry about. A sub's frequency range in a SQ install is very limited, they are usually crossed over at 60hz or less. Meaning they honestly aren't reproducing much musical information (no sub is really). Judges are much more concerned about the front stage. Getting the tonality right on a singers voice is much harder than getting a the lowend of a kickdrum. Producing a proper stage width and height are also a major concern, again very little of this involves the sub, once you get it to blend well your done. Basically a full blown SQ install worries about EVERYTHING else before they worry about sub-bass, it's darn near an afterthought in some cases. Beyond this, SQ competitions don't require a high volume level. Even a cheap sub can usually produce clean bass at the required levels. Its not that SQ and bass don't go together, but it's definetly not even close to the most important thing involved.
needed to be quoted 1 more time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.