no bass boost?

Hydrastas
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
NE ks
I've seen in numerous posts that bass boost should be off, however i can't seem to find a thread that says why that is... Whats up with that? I know that if i turn down the low on my hu that i can get more volume out of the speakers before distortion, but why no bass boost for the subs?

why is it even put on amps then? I've been using it for a month now since i bought my amp and i've heard no clipping, and the subs seem to be just fine. Im only running 360wrms though, maybe it has something to do with the 1k+amps?

yeah you can use it conservatively, but at higher volumes it'll clip alot. if you do decide to use bass boost, then set it to where you want, THEN set the gains so you won't be clipping the amp. at lower power, it'll last longer cuz it's not pushing the sub as hard thermally like it is at higher volumes.

so is bass boost like running more amps through the sub? Could you get the strongest possible signal from an amp without using the bass boost?

so is bass boost like running more amps through the sub? Could you get the strongest possible signal from an amp without using the bass boost?
no. the signal comes from the HEADUNIT. teh bass boost BOOSTS a certain frequency (usually 45hz) so the output of the sub will increase but at the expense of possibly damaging a woofer if you don't kno what you're doing.

it doesn't provide more "power". it intensifies a certain frequency for higher output response at that frequency.
which makes the woofer act like it is getting more power than it should... sometimes causing it to go beyond it's thermal abilities... aka, it blows...

bass boost = newbs

/thread

if it isn't loud enough, get more power! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif

how is that possible without more power, thats confusing. Does it just take what power it has and focuses it on that frequency or something?

which makes the woofer act like it is getting more power than it should...
but what if im using 2 subs that have 350wrms each, onto an amp that is only giving them 180wrms a piece? If a woofer acts like it's getting more power than it should, wait a minute, how can something act like its getting more power?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.