no bass boost?

it amplifies that signal. yes. thus it causes the amp to clip because it's overworking itself to keep up with the demand. i've blown 2 or 3 subs like that (entry level rf subs).
That makes no sense whatsoever... Why would any amplifier have a bass boost then?? If it is something that causes itself to destroy what it is meant to operate? Thats just ridiculous, why not call it the clipper then instead of bass boost?

read up on how an amplifier works.
how would that help me figure out how something can act like it's getting more power than it should? I didn't even know that inanimate objects could act...

All i know about it is that it makes my subs louder and pound harder, and that there is no clipping involved. Is it because im underpowering my subs or because im just special?

bass boost = newbs

Ok, the amp i've got has 250wrmsX1@4ohms, and 360wrmsX1@2ohms. With just one of the subs hooked up at 4 ohms with 250wrms and no bass boost it sounds ok, but when i hook both subs up at a 2 ohm load with bass boost, either one of the subs pwns just the one sub that had 70 more wrms going to it... so explain why bass boost=newbs when it seems to do better then what more watts did... I know that if i had a more powerfull amplifier for these subs, then sure i wouldn't need bass boost, but considering that without the power that the subs are rated at, bass boost seems to accomidate well with no drawbacks.

All i know about it is that it makes my subs louder and pound harder, and that there is no clipping involved. Is it because im underpowering my subs or because im just special?
that's what all the ricer kids say. "yo dawg my system ****in SLAMS homie!" i have the gains maxxed out cuz it dictates how much bass i get, and the bass boost makes this **** crazy loud when i crank it!!" 2 months later the kid will be looking for a new amp and have gone thru 5 subs.

lol, the only time i've ever hurt any of my equipment was when i ghetto rigged 3 amps to one sub, upon which one of the amps had a mosfet problem. Im not asain, but saying that using the bass boost makes the subs pound harder was just a way of saying that it seems as if the subs are producing more output than otherwise. So if while using bass boost with the gains set after turning on the bass boost with no clipping and no distortion coming from the subs and the magnets not feeling any warmer than they should be, is bass boost safe to use?

once again, why do amps even have bass boost then...?

lol, the only time i've ever hurt any of my equipment was when i ghetto rigged 3 amps to one sub, upon which one of the amps had a mosfet problem. Im not asain, but saying that using the bass boost makes the subs pound harder was just a way of saying that it seems as if the subs are producing more output than otherwise. So if while using bass boost with the gains set after turning on the bass boost with no clipping and no distortion coming from the subs and the magnets not feeling any warmer than they should be, is bass boost safe to use?

once again, why do amps even have bass boost then...?
to make up for the lack of bass on some songs (basically like an epicenter does, except bass boost is one frequency and with an epicenter, you can create your own eq curves, etc. ).

but the bass boost option on mine is a knob...how many people mount thier sub amp next to the drivers seat so that they can turn the bass boost on and off when a song comes on to make up for the lack of bass in it?

but the bass boost option on mine is a knob...how many people mount thier sub amp next to the drivers seat so that they can turn the bass boost on and off when a song comes on to make up for the lack of bass in it?
alot of amps have a bass knob control with a cord extending from the amp to wherever they wish to mount it and they can adjust it on the amp with the control all the way up and that way they can turn it up or down as needed.

I cannot stand distortion or clipping but my Alpine MRV-t420 has to have the gain and bass boost almost all the way up before my Kappe Perfect shows any sign whatsoever of distortion? Its rated at 350 RMS and the amp puts out 350 RMS I dont understand why the bass boost has to be cranked up so high?

I cannot stand distortion or clipping but my Alpine MRV-t420 has to have the gain and bass boost almost all the way up before my Kappe Perfect shows any sign whatsoever of distortion? Its rated at 350 RMS and the amp puts out 350 RMS I dont understand why the bass boost has to be cranked up so high?
Even thought your amp is rated at 350 rms, it is not putting that out on a daily/constant basis. If you have to turn your bass boost up to get the sub moving, my recomendation would be to look into a more powerfull amp. If your sub is rated at 350 RMS, maybe look for something a little above that and set your gains properly according to the gain setting tutorial. I will hit a little harder and sound much cleaner in most cases.

To the OP: most amps have the bass boost control for your typical in-experienced kid/person that goes into CC or BB and wants his "**** to pound" without putting out alot of $$$. So they put a bass boost knob to increase output at certain frequencies and the end result is "man, I just bought this from CC and hits harder than anything else!" and damaged equipment in the long term.

Just think of your bass boost as a gain control that only works at one centered frequency. The reason your not blowing your sub is because your amp isnt strong enough to reach the speakers limits even with the boost on. Now If you got a stronger amp that could max out the speakers without boost then thats when you can run into problems by turning the boost on. and a lot of inexperienced people dont know the sound of and overdriven speaker and end up killing them.

Hmm so my amp is too weak? Suprising but looks like I need an upgrade. Bad thing is my subwoofer is single 4ohm so I'll prolly get a new dual voice coil sub as well. ****

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.