Official CarAudio.com Big 3 Thread

for reference:
BIG 3

alt + to battery +

engine block to - battery post

- battery post to chassis/frame

that is all //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
I thought it was

alt + to battery +

Block to chassis

Battery - to chassis

Here is a picture of my engine block. There are 2 bolts which I could use to ground from but both are really corroded and looks like it may be difficult to remove and clean. Righth behind the engine block is another piece of metal, which is not corroded. Could I use that as a grounding point?

Hmm... I can't really tell from the picture. The rusted parts don't look too good to me but the other one does. I don't know for sure though.

I don't know if this is the proper way to do it, but I'd look for your alternator and follow the metal that it is connected to. It should pretty much be a part of the engine block. Follow the metal that the alternator is directly connected to. If it leads to that bolt you pointed out in the second pic then that one should work fine. If there is anything real obvious separating the two, it may still work but I'd look for one more directly connected to the electrical parts of the engine.

But remember, I'm not a mechanic... I don't know what that bolt does. If your engine blows up after you take it out, don't blame me. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

i just dont understand how bat- to chassis is diff. than batt- to block.. block is attached to the chassis isnt it
There isn't any difference.

Check the first post in this thread. The tutorial specifically says "Chassis to Engine Block".

Besides, where does the battery ground\negative get its "ground" from?

The chassis...

Its all the same thing, its just that if you connect it to the battery ground you'll probably need more wire, and one of the goals of the big3 is short grounds.

EDIT: Whoops, I misunderstood what you said. I thought you meant block to batt - was the same as block to chassis.

So instead of going from the block to the chassis, can I go from alternator to chassis? And if so then what part of the alternator can I connect to?

So instead of going from the block to the chassis, can I go from alternator to chassis? And if so then what part of the alternator can I connect to?
I don't really know.

Don't try to complicate things man. Its really not that hard. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Just find your alternator, look at the main huge piece of metal its connected to (the engine block), find a bolt on that piece of metal, and ground that to the chassis.

NO!

You go from Alternator positive to battery positive ONLY... You DONT go from alternator ground to chassis.

Most(if not all) newer alternators have a molex connector that has the ground wire built into it, therefore you CANT go from alt. ground to chassis.

NO! You go from Alternator positive to battery positive ONLY... You DONT go from alternator ground to chassis.

Most(if not all) newer alternators have a molex connector that has the ground wire built into it, therefore you CANT go from alt. ground to chassis.
Right.

I just suggested using the alternator as reference because it will most likely be attached to the main part of the engine block you need to ground to as opposed to a heat shield or something.

NO! You go from Alternator positive to battery positive ONLY... You DONT go from alternator ground to chassis.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif

even if you have a molex connector, the alt is still attached to the engine block and the block to frame....so why would you not be able to ground the alt to frame

wow, you guys like to take the easiest **** and make it hard. the neg post of the battery is the grounding point //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif (take it off, and you have no power. this is how i know...)

so you would be better off going to the neg battery post with the engine (alt) ground, as well as the chassis (frame) ground. and with both of those hooked up you achieve the engine to chassis ground, seeing as the chassis and engine are both grounded at the neg post.

ps, Molex connector or not, the frame(case) of the alternator is its ground //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

I don't really know.
Don't try to complicate things man. Its really not that hard. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Just find your alternator, look at the main huge piece of metal its connected to (the engine block), find a bolt on that piece of metal, and ground that to the chassis.
That seems to be a little better to understand. im going to take a picture to post so maybe you guys can help me figure out where to connect the wire to.

So heres a picture. Is the metal piece that is attached to the alternator the block? And Can I just pull that bolt out to ground to?

any bolt will do (as long as you dont take something apart and fvck it up). i used the alt mounting bolt.

i release myself for liability if you fck something up.

That seems to be a little better to understand. im going to take a picture to post so maybe you guys can help me figure out where to connect the wire to.
So heres a picture. Is the metal piece that is attached to the alternator the block? And Can I just pull that bolt out to ground to?
I am sorry, but i can't help but laugh at your question.....the ENGINE BLOCK is what is being referred too!! If you have no clue what an engine block is, you should not open your hood

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...