over kill car ?

8 - 15" dvc Dr Crankensteins in a "V" with over 6200wrms on them .... Like 157 ish outlaw. At least that is what we called it back then. Windows down, track of your choice playing. Mic on the dash or in the kick. We were knocking on the 160 mark back then, and every one thought that when we finally hit it, the space/time continuum would fracture or some such poo-poo ...lol.... good thing that ish didn't actually happen, huh ....
The good old 90's were the days I was 14 and it was 1997 when I went to my first comp with my brother since he enter his truck which had 6 15 inch orion Xtr 3 dvc sub's. Running off two orion 2100 hcca amps.

Not one person in here has mentioned that some people like a lot of bass...others just a little or in between.
"Overkill" has too many variations for us to "navigate" thru w/o actually knowing what that person meant.
OP mentioned back in post #4 he was shooting for bass like 145+deebeez .... when you want that kind of bass, not much is going to be overkill I think ....

145db with a single 10" sub you are going to want at least 2.5k of power along with electrical upgrades to support it. 145 might be easy back then with audiocontrol mics but nowadays with termlab mics its a lot tougher to get good numbers.

What are some sub's with good Sq and great spl you recommend. I'm always open for options.
I currently am running 2 sundown e8v2's in a 2.0 cu box tuned to 32 hz off a hifonics 600w amp @ 1ohm and it can play anything and get quite loud doing so.

Ill get a video or 2 tomorrow. very surprising for what it is. I am a fan of anything sundown but jl makes good sq obviously. there is also morel if you want to get fancy and expensive. I have also had a alpine type x which was awesome as well. i needed a bigger box for it but had it in 1.9 tuned to 30 and it slammed.

i was actually looking into going to a single sa-8v2 or v3 if/when they come out or possibly even just upgrading to the newer e8v3's if i can use the same box and maybe run a bit more power.

145db with a single 10" sub you are going to want at least 2.5k of power along with electrical upgrades to support it. 145 might be easy back then with audiocontrol mics but nowadays with termlab mics its a lot tougher to get good numbers.
sounds like a dd 9510 would do the trick. to bad they love big boxes to shine //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

we had term lab back then too. Wayne started all the term lab stuff and db drag back in 93 ... I've had one version or another of term pro/term lab since Wayne first introduced it ...

Man, we were designing enclosures with term pro on Commadore 486's back in the day ...lol.....and thought we was tha shiz too .....

but mics and tech have changed ALOT in the last 20+ yrs, that's for sure. And I have heard the MIC is harder to hit the big numbers on these days.

Meters and MICs are nice, but i still just like the old, If you can't breathe, and it feels like it's crushing your chest, you got the boom.

we had term lab back then too. Wayne started all the term lab stuff and db drag back in 93 ... I've had one version or another of term pro/term lab since Wayne first introduced it ...
Man, we were designing enclosures with term pro on Commadore 486's back in the day ...lol.....and thought we was tha shiz too .....
And now you look at all the stuff we have now. Sometimes I wonder where we be at in car audio if car audio back then was like today's stuff lol.

With the car you have.

For sq: stick with the W7 sealed. I have heard a lot of them and they sound great, have a bad rep on the forums because they are mainstream, and the price. But who cares. Or go with an IA Flatline. Those are good sq woofers...

For spl: tons of options, too many ways to skin this cat. Dd comes to mind in a high quality, clean build. Or B2, that stuff is very nice and loud. You could go with the JBL GTI for a mix of sq and spl but they want a large box iirc.

Most likely whatever you get you will upgrade in a month and keep on doing that until you quit, or say F it and wall your car haha

Yea, a GOOD amp today costs about the same (if not less) as a good amp did back in the early 90's. Which in turn makes them MUCH more affordable these days. Back then a good amp was a MAJOR investment, as $1000+ extra in 92 was hard to come by .... Now subs today are much better quality than what we had to work with back then... for sure.....and still about the same $$ they were back then too ....car audio is a much more affordable hobby now than back in the early 90's for sure ....But the majority of amps today are trash compared to the average amp yo could buy in the early-mid 90's ....You really have to watch what you buy these days. Back then any RF, MTX, Orion, Sounstream, PPI, Autotek, heck even Planet Audio had some good amps back then...lol...you could buy the entry level Alpine, or MTX 50 watt amp, and it still made more power than rated .....

oh well, getting waaay off track here .....sorry ...

With the car you have.
For sq: stick with the W7 sealed. I have heard a lot of them and they sound great, have a bad rep on the forums because they are mainstream, and the price. But who cares. Or go with an IA Flatline. Those are good sq woofers...

For spl: tons of options, too many ways to skin this cat. Dd comes to mind in a high quality, clean build. Or B2, that stuff is very nice and loud. You could go with the JBL GTI for a mix of sq and spl but they want a large box iirc.

Most likely whatever you get you will upgrade in a month and keep on doing that until you quit, or say F it and wall your car haha
Nothing wrong with JL subs, that is what I put in my sons car, and he loves them. And they hit decent too ...

ported - 1.0-1.25 ft^3 @ 35hz

Displacement - 0.10 ft^3

Depth - 6"

Outside Diameter - 10 1/2"

Cut-Out - 9 1/4"

that is for just 1

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.