Poll: Favorite motors

my fave 4 banger is the 2.4 turbo in the SRT-4

they can take a lot of abuse, very well built.

the last SRT-4 that was dynoed was 247hp with 279 lb ft of tourque...Right off the show room floor.

B/C that motor has been around for 15+ years, reasonable assumption.

uhhh and what vehicle was this EXACT engine in??

on a side note, at one time i had some queer try and tell me that the engine in the SRT4 was the exact same thing as a viper except smaller....i laughed for 20 minutes strait...

because there is guys running over 350hp on styock internals with no effects....

Mopar performance tore one apart and said for Street and Track use it is super over built.

The 2.4 in the stratus/pt/pt turbo and SRT-4 hasn't been around for 15 years....

maybe you are thinking of the 2.2 and 2.5 turbo SOHC's from the 80's

Most all motors i've seen that are engineered from the factory for forced induction can usually be made to produce more power (to a point) with little or no problems. Almost every factory boosted four thats hit the streets is capable of 300+ hp. due to a stronger block and internals from the factory. Subaru EJ20; VW/Audi 1.8T; Mopar SRT-4 2.2; Mitsubishi 4G63; Nissan SR20DET; Seen examples of them all producing well in excess of 300 hp. As long as Chrysler is (Hopefully) not using the composite head gasket, those motors in the SRT-4 should hold up fairly well. I hope the same can be said for the rest of the car.

Later.

edit: i read somewhere that one guy was running just under 500hp completely stock on the SRT-4....thats schweet, he even posted dyno results.

also i drive a 2001 Neon...it has been a **** good car to me...Engine and body wise....the only body problems are stonechips due to how low i am....

i dunno why everyone thinks they don't last, they last very well...the first gens (95-99) had some probs, but they were still a very well built car.

My dad works for Chrysler and he says neons are never in the shop with body or suspension problems.... the only big probs are washer fluid motor plugs up in winter with ice....and the oddball prob like coil pack probs or Rear mainseal probs.

mine was leaking a bit and warranty fixed it, so no probs now...

Everyone thinks that the SRT-4's $26,000CDN price tag means cheap junk....

Cheap yes, but in the sense that Chrysler used an existing reliable platform and changed the suspension, brakes,wheels, tranny, engine and a few interior pieces..thats why there is not a high price tag.

350 TPI. Can have some fun in my little IROC if you're ever in town //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif460BB.

429 Cobra Jet.

455 Stage 1.

454 LS6.

440 +6.

426 HEMI.

Bet you can't guess which era of cars I like //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

- Steve
The best era... That is.

New crap annoys me.

Add the 327 to that list.

Not a powerhouse, not a big block. Just a nice engine.

i do love those cars as well....but i must look forward in time as those cars have gone the way of the dinosaur and they are to expensive and tweaky to drive and i can't afford to build one...

uhhh and what vehicle was this EXACT engine in??
on a side note, at one time i had some queer try and tell me that the engine in the SRT4 was the exact same thing as a viper except smaller....i laughed for 20 minutes strait...
1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Laser, Talon, Lancer, ect. . Neons and Avengers have shared DSM parts for years.

The Plymouth Laser WAS a mitsu.; To my knowlage, the current generation of Neon is using very few Mitsubishi parts, and is no longer using Mitsubishi drive line parts.

Later.

The best era... That is.
New crap annoys me.

Add the 327 to that list.

Not a powerhouse, not a big block. Just a nice engine.
How could I forget ...

327. Nice engine. Not a powerhouse like you say, but it still goes.

I loved the days where you had no electronic crap in the car to worry about. I mean, come on, the sound of doors closing on a muscle car ... how many new vehicles can match that?

- Steve

Favorite - L28 - straight six for the 78-83 280zx, can handle tons of power on stock bottom end, parts are plentiful and inexpensive and can make over 700hp.

Worst engine - Nissan vg series. 84-89 300zx, old maximas and nissan trucks. I have one in my Pathfinder and it *****. It is very reliable, but makes no power and gets worse gas mileage then the new 5.6 liter found in the Nissan Titan and Armada.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.