Powder Coated my amp

Blazin_Jason
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Got bored this weekend as I am waiting on parts to arrive to finish up a box and what not. So I decided to take apart my alpine mrv-f540 that I just got off ebay. Decided that I wanted to take it into work and powder coat it. Well I didn't know what color I wanted to paint it, so I went with white. Turned out pretty good. Eventually I will do my mrd-m1000 white as well. Looks clean and simple, just how I like it.

amp17ga.jpg

amp20ih.jpg

Jason

daang thats pretty. very pretty. where do you get the stuff to powdercoat? how much does it cost? i mite do one black.

Cost me my time. Started working at a local shop few months ago. So I just went in after work blasted the old paint off in our bead blaster and painted it. I don't know how much it would cost to get it done though.

I have an amp that needs a new finish. Are there any paint strippers that will remove powder coat. Does it have to be blasted or sanded?

We have some paint stripper that eats powder coat very well. I'll try to find out more about it. I try to stay away from the stuff myself. We also have a burn off oven that you can put stuff into and 4 hours later at about 700 degrees any paint is off and can be cleaned up easily. So if our crappy little shop has a burn off oven, I would think others would as well. It's almost impossible to blast off powder coat without a high pressure sand blaster and coarse grain sand. Best bet is strip it, or even sand it off. Palm sander or something.

Thanks Blazin, I figured it would take a high pressure media blaster. If you find out what might strip it let me know. Thanks. Oh yeah, Good job on the amp.

Definetly unique.

I want to powder coat my amp as well.

It probably wont be cheap though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I had about 30 peices done in my engine bay.... two coats per peice and hours of taping all the ports/valleys off. the guy charged me 100 bucks but that's cuz I'd done business with him before. He said it's normally 35 bucks per coat for about ~5 peices. after 5 peices it goes up however much the powdercoater would like, per piece.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.