Powder Coated my amp

I dunno how much it will affect the heat dissapation. It can't be all that much different from painting it I would think. Powder coating is essentialy paint without the solvent. I made sure that I got a good amount of heat sink compound/thermal paste etc. on the transistors or whatever. Obviously I masked the inside off so that there wasn't any powder in there. I plan on putting in a couple fans once I install all my amps anyways.

Jason

I can't edit my original post to fix a broken image for some reason. This was the other pic that was originally on page 1.

amp21pc.jpg

Jason

Super nice, it almost seems like you need to paint the badge another color if possible.

Eastwood sells a powder coating kit. You need a compressor and an oven.

The Sears one doesn't require anything but the oven, but the colors seem to be a little limited (they sell them in baggies at the store, which seems to be a pricey way to buy powder).

Eastwood has more info on how to do it.

I have been told you can get something called aircraft stripper that seems to work wonders on removing finishes. Best way is supposedly to spray the product and then stick it in a bag and let it soak in (the bag keeps it from evaporating). I always grab a few bags when I take a plane (those oversized bags used for skis and baby seats). Big, strong and hold up well.

Juan

Super nice, it almost seems like you need to paint the badge another color if possible.
Eastwood sells a powder coating kit. You need a compressor and an oven.

The Sears one doesn't require anything but the oven, but the colors seem to be a little limited (they sell them in baggies at the store, which seems to be a pricey way to buy powder).

Eastwood has more info on how to do it.

I have been told you can get something called aircraft stripper that seems to work wonders on removing finishes. Best way is supposedly to spray the product and then stick it in a bag and let it soak in (the bag keeps it from evaporating). I always grab a few bags when I take a plane (those oversized bags used for skis and baby seats). Big, strong and hold up well.

Juan

Humm I might have to try that. I want to get my amps to match my car. Need it to be yellow though.

Posted this in another thread, but thought I would share it here too. Here are all 4 amps that are now powder coated. I currently have one in my car and it's working fine. Not any hotter, since the amp displays temp. Just need to fix the outputs on one, and get a cover for the other.

4amps2hu.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.