RTA (Real Time Analyzer)

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have some experience with recording, just in a open venue, never in a closed environment like a car. Usually the stage mics wouldn't interfere with anything and reflections were pretty much nonexistent. When I started trying to apply my knowledge of stage and studio recording and acoustics to a vehicle, everything change. It requires a new way of thinking to make things work. Also it's been a couple years since I have been traveling the country recording, so I am rusty on just about everything.

The only downfall I can see with the Dayton software from PE, is that it doesn't have a way to measure phase shifts (other than being a little higher than I want to spend) so I am really considering buying the Trueaudio software and mics and preamps separately (I already have a sound card). Only thing I am worried about is being on the road and wanting to make adjustments and having to find a place to plug in my phantom power mic preamp. But I think most shows are held pretty close to an electrical source

CEntrance -> MicPort Pro

micport_pro_alt_200.jpg

i've used this. works out well. can be plugged into the mic directly but then holding it is a chore.

M-Audio Fast Track USB | Sweetwater.com

M-AUDIO - Fast Track - Record Guitar and Vocals on Your Computer

maudiofasttrackusbmk2.jpg

haven't used the M-audio model (this is the newer one) but it is a similar concept (bulky)

you will want a separate 1/2" calibrator as well - if you want to know actual SPL levels. otherwise, the measurements are relative.

this is what we use:

USBPre Microphone Interface for Computer Audio | Sound Devices, LLC

usbpre_large.jpg

i have one of these in my garage right now. requires 120V power or a 12VDC socket. but you can use your own sound card. and it's cheap.

Rolls MP13 Mini-Mic Microphone Preamplifier at zZounds

M-Audio does have a 2 channel USB version that should be compatible with TrueRTA. Cheaper than SoundDevices.

M-AUDIO - MobilePre - Record Music with Your Computer

USB mic pre's will replace the sound card in your laptop. you don't want to rely on the factory sound card, but a PCIMA sound card (like Soundblaster) so you get lower noise and better resolution. the price of a PCIMA sound card goes a long way to pay for a USB mic pre that will act as the sound card.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Joseph7195

10+ year member
Walkin Tall
Joseph7195
Saltillo, Mississippi, United States
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date