What else BESIDES the HiFonics?

Yes, they are needed. Below the tuning frequency, the box loses it's reflexive quality and the sub begins to excurd tons without great output. Yes, you can run a ported box without one, but you really should be running one, otherwise you are wasting potential.
Graph the excursion in WinISD and tell me you dont need a SSF in a ported box.
how are u wasting potential by not using a SSF? all it does is retrict it from overextending on really low notes that only bass test songs go low enough to do any damge . a SSF is not needed if u tune low, like 30-32hz and dont listen to bass testing songs.

I'm running ported without a SSF. You have to be smart enough to know when your pushing your subs over their limits. That can be heard very easy.

Now for this statement:

''the box loses it's reflexive quality and the sub begins to excurd tons without great output. Yes, you can run a ported box without one, but you really should be running one, otherwise you are wasting potential.''

Not sure if it's true or not, but I don't see how having a sub stop playing at a set hz. can waste the potential of that sub.

Maybe others can explain further.

The JBL has been known to rip apart subs at 1 ohm. The amp doesn't get hot, at all, kinda tells you that the signal isn't exactly the cleanest.
......rip apart subs? sounds like an user error and not knowing how to setup an amp properly.

my JBL ran at 1 ohm for about a year to my re se's. got warm after playing loud for a while. also had the amp run at 4 ohms when i first hooked up the subs, there was no difference in SQ when i put it down to 1 ohm. like i said, user error.

......rip apart subs? sounds like an user error and not knowing how to setup an amp properly. my JBL ran at 1 ohm for about a year to my re se's. got warm after playing loud for a while. also had the amp run at 4 ohms when i first hooked up the subs, there was no difference in SQ when i put it down to 1 ohm. like i said, user error.
Uhm, I'm not talking out my ass. I'm speaking about it based on the fact that it's happened to a lot of people. Ask Adire.

User error? This amp is almost impossible to have user error, unless you're a complete idiot. It has a gain and an lpf.

I didn't say everyone had problems, I said a lot of people. If you consider yourself everyone, then yes, I was wrong.

im sure theres plenty of people that dont know how to tune an amp properly and set theyr gain too high and set theyr basss boost way up. so sure it could be user error.

and what is dirty power? gimme ur definition of that.

Why don't you try the pG tantrum 1200. I think if I am not mistaken that it will do the 1200 at 2 ohms. They are even within your budget if you look on ebay. Hope this helps

I do think HiFonics over rates their amps. I tested a HiFonics 400 watt 2 channel HiFonics amp a few month ago it was running at 2 ohms and was only putting out 100 watts per channel rms. Its kind of like my friends 1200 watt amp that wont blow an 80 amp fuse, something is wrong there. especially for a class ab amp.

I do think HiFonics over rates their amps. I tested a HiFonics 400 watt 2 channel HiFonics amp a few month ago it was running at 2 ohms and was only putting out 100 watts per channel rms. Its kind of like my friends 1200 watt amp that wont blow an 80 amp fuse, something is wrong there. especially for a class ab amp.
A Hifonics bx1500d benched at 1530 RMS.

im sure theres plenty of people that dont know how to tune an amp properly and set theyr gain too high and set theyr basss boost way up. so sure it could be user error.
and what is dirty power? gimme ur definition of that.
Dirty power is a sine wave with imperfections: read squaring, distortion, sawtooth etc. Dirty power doesn't look like a sine wave; it looks like a piecewise function.

As far as wasting potential?... well if you have a song with two bass freqs, one at 20 Hz, and one at 35Hz (or two octaves off or whatever you want), and you can only set your gain so that the 20Hz note doesn't bottom out your woofer, you have lost potential! With a SSF, you can eliminate that extraneous wave and crank your gain up since your sub is only playing notes it can be controlled playing! So, in short, you are potentially loosing output without a SSF.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.