03 civic, will the immobilizer be a problem?

Participant count
  • Participant list

M@nJo
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
bay area
i have a viper 791xv 2-way lcd pager/remote start car alarm that will be going into an 2003 honda civic ex automatic. the vehicle has an immobolizer meaning the key is lazer cut and carrys a signal that is needed to start the ignition. now my concern is will i need any special key made or need to visit the honda dealer to get the key programmed so it will be compatible with remote start alarm?

if anyone has expierence with hooking up a remote start on their honda/acura that uses an immobilizer, please post your exp. with it. or if your an car alarm profession too.

thanks

edit: i talked with 2 car alarm shops and they both said i needed a "transponder" in order to install my viper:crap: . can someone elaborate more on this part and where is it available to purchase?

basically they are going to have to bypass the immobilizer feature for it to work by placing a programmed key inder the column covers so the pickup ring will detect it. All in all, by having remote start you will be bypassing the most effective auto theft prevention measure made. Not a good idea.

dammit, all i wanted is to add additional security features and it looks like the remote start is gonna give a big downfall.

i want to keep my immobilizer. are their any other security features that will bypass my immobilizer or is the remote start the only feature?

basically they are going to have to bypass the immobilizer feature for it to work by placing a programmed key inder the column covers so the pickup ring will detect it. All in all, by having remote start you will be bypassing the most effective auto theft prevention measure made. Not a good idea.

Not true. A programmed key does have to be used in the installation, but it can be installed into a module which doesn't have to be placed in the steering column; only an antenna output runs to the key switch itself. The module can be placed in a hard-to-access area, and it's only activated when the remote start is activated. If the system is properly installed, it won't compromise the anti-theft system at all; and you might note that the 791xv is an alarm/remote start, and includes such security features as starter kill.

I just know what hapens when people jerk witha Honda immobilizer system, as I am a Honda Master Technician. I am not saying it can't be done, but with the way that system works, I just have never seen it done right in 8 years fo working on Honda product (and that includes several ignition recalls where I had to fix other knuckleheads shitty work) and so I am naturally skeptical. I would just install an alarm sans the remote start, as cool as it may be, to ensure maximum security. The beauty of the immobilizer system is that the car will crank until the battery is dead and won't start because the main relay is never energized to frovide power to the fuel pump, and input voltage to the pcm for ignition. Extremely difficult to bypass, very theft-resistant.

i read on another forum that the immobilizer will only be bypassed when the remote start is engaged. even if a thief attempts to steal my vehicle during remote start, once s/he presses the brake down, the remote start is shut off. *in my car, you must step on brake in order to shift it in DRIVE (D).*

i talked to Mr. Christiansen, he said i would need this part to successfully install remote start in my vehicle. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5833017918&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

what you guys think?

*in my car, you must step on brake in order to shift it in DRIVE (D).*
?
actually, you don't. There is a little plastic cover or slot just to the left (I believe) of the shift lever that if you stick a key, or screwdriver, or pocketknife in there it manually overrides the shift interlock. This exists so you can get the car out of park if the battery is dead. Just so you know. It's in your owner's manual.

do i stand correct about the "that the immobilizer will only be bypassed when the remote start is engaged" statement?

i have a viper 791xv 2-way lcd pager/remote start car alarm that will be going into an 2003 honda civic ex automatic. the vehicle has an immobolizer meaning the key is lazer cut and carrys a signal that is needed to start the ignition. now my concern is will i need any special key made or need to visit the honda dealer to get the key programmed so it will be compatible with remote start alarm?if anyone has expierence with hooking up a remote start on their honda/acura that uses an immobilizer, please post your exp. with it. or if your an car alarm profession too.

thanks

edit: i talked with 2 car alarm shops and they both said i needed a "transponder" in order to install my viper:crap: . can someone elaborate more on this part and where is it available to purchase?
GET A 556HW or a 556UW

the UW requirers a key, the 556HW doesn't... it learns the code of the key....

anyone who deals w/ dei should have these parts... 556uw should be about 50 bucks, 556hw should be 60ish...

thanks for the info, i went ahead and purchased the 556h off ebay for $34 shipped //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

for those who installed remote start in their vehicle, was it difficult? would you consider it a highly advanced procedure or is it easily DIY-able and easy to learn?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.