16 Gauge speaker wire too small for 2000w amp?

You don't have to, but it's a good idea. Just run a second pair alongside the first and connect them in the same spots. Tape them together an inch or so from the terminals so any movement they'll do together. You can use any tape, but I prefer electrical. Better yet, use shrink wrap tubing. For either tape or tubing I recommend using black for positive and maybe red or white for negative. It just makes they easier to identify.
"Black" as a color code is traditionally NEGATIVE, and red positive.

I've been playing with electronics most of my life.

John Kuthe...

John Kuthe...
but you need to hire an installer.... Car audio installs is basicallly almost all about negatives positives and remote turn ons and rcas. Nothing mind blowing enough for you to spend money on an installer where he's not even finished yet after all this time.

but you need to hire an installer.... Car audio installs is basicallly almost all about negatives positives and remote turn ons and rcas. Nothing mind blowing enough for you to spend money on an installer where he's not even finished yet after all this time.
There is no "finished", it's a design in process, and there will be a p[oint soon we call it "gud enuf" for now. I have all four 6x9's in and running only on those for now and with realizing I can't get the 5.25" PHD drivers up on Baby II's A-pillars so this is now the challenge to completing this project. Thinking about kick panel mounts because I really REALLY don't want to rely on those cheap plastic stock Chrysler two point mounts atop the dash. My installer guy is doing some great work, we just have very limited times we get to work on this all! I work second shift, which adds in the process requirement of ME getting enough sleep in this project. Plus all the other life stuff we both have to do. You have NO IDEA!

John Kuthe...

Unless it's residential. Then black is hot and white is ground.
Nice thing about standards, we have so many to choose from!! ;-)

Unless they are governmentally/authoritatively mandated! Evidencing that we PEOPLE can't do a **** thing right!

John Kuthe...

John Kuthe...
I'd have to agree with you here. I don't remember if I switched them up because I was doing residential work at the time or just accidentally (probably the latter), but I use red/white for positive and black for negative in CA.

Really?
But you can't hook up 3 simple amps??!!
Yes I could have, but I rather employed someone with recent experience at it. I have more money than recent experience at car audio, and getting help around here is like pulling teeth! Ask for help and mostly what you get is ridiculed for one thing or another.

And I have TWO amps and a DSP. Read my sig file.

John Kuthe...

Nice thing about standards, we have so many to choose from!! ;-)
Unless they are governmentally/authoritatively mandated! Evidencing that we PEOPLE can't do a **** thing right!

John Kuthe...
You aren't an EE if you are id never read a print from you. You are clueless..

In moble applications black is normally desinated as ground but in any other field you shdold refer to the prints. For nearly every control system ive done in low Voltage DC black is positive..

You aren't an EE if you are id never read a print from you. You are clueless.. In moble applications black is normally desinated as ground but in any other field you shdold refer to the prints. For nearly every control system ive done in low Voltage DC black is positive..
I learnt it incorrect then! And what do you mean "the prints"?

John Kuthe...

I learnt it incorrect then! And what do you mean "the prints"?
John Kuthe...
Dont worry about it.. Stuck with your installer guy.

If you where a EE you would know.

You are correct in the fact that black is typically ground but there is no code saying red is hot.. I coukd be a signal wire or power wire..

Dont worry about it.. Stuck with your installer guy.If you where a EE you would know.

You are correct in the fact that black is typically ground but there is no code saying red is hot.. I coukd be a signal wire or power wire..
Yep, my installer guy ordered a bunch of blue 0AWG power wire from the battery, and we added a 0AWG black ground wire too both to the battery.

15194398_1198706010189877_7554935738767835066_o.jpg

John Kuthe...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.