Is 16 gauge PURE COPPER ENOUGH FOR SUB 325W RMS CONSTANT

Participant count
  • Participant list

Aryan

CarAudio.com Newbie
I am planning to rewire my subwoofer and had bought pure copper 16 gauge which is used for home theatre installations for speakers.

Will this gauge 16 wire be able to provide sufficient power for a single voice coil 12 inch JBL sub 325w rms or should i go for 12- 14 gauge?
IMG_2374.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2376.jpeg
    IMG_2376.jpeg
    537 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
That will be fine for 325 watts. I've ran way more than that through 16 gauge with no perceivable difference from 12 gauge. 😅

Going larger in wire never hurts and you can if you like, but a basic setup like that 16 is plenty big enough. It takes quite a bit of power to hear a difference from 16 gauge to 12 gauge, or even overpower it. I would run that 16 gauge in that setup no problem.

That will be fine for 325 watts. I've ran way more than that through 16 gauge with no perceivable difference from 12 gauge. 😅

Going larger in wire never hurts and you can if you like, but a basic setup like that 16 is plenty big enough. It takes quite a bit of power to hear a difference from 16 gauge to 12 gauge, or even overpower it. I would run that 16 gauge in that setup no problem.
Thanks for the validation mate, internet has many different opinions on this but i think i ll go with yours!

No problem. Just no sense in spending money, when you already have something that will work fine. That said, if you start to go with higher power, then you may want to upgrade down the road. And yeah there can be a varying opinion on this sort of thing.

Lastly, if you have enough extra wire, you can double it up if that makes you feel better. So cut two pieces the same length and wire them in parallel to each other. Two 16 gauge wires = one 13 gauge wire.

If you have enough.. Id run one two strand to each side be perfect, Ive used speaker wire 14ga and ran to a 600 rms 12 in the past/like double 14 ga to each terminal.

I am planning to rewire my subwoofer and had bought pure copper 16 gauge which is used for home theatre installations for speakers.

Will this gauge 16 wire be able to provide sufficient power for a single voice coil 12 inch JBL sub 325w rms or should i go for 12- 14 gauge?View attachment 57611
Absolutely fine. Double it up if it makes you sleep better, but should work fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...