1999 Chevrolet Blazer

Got my buss bars installed this morning.
Loving the bars bro.. You gonna add another? Looks like there's certainly room for one, I may have missed it where you said how many you planned on running.

Went to the local weekly car show tonight, gave a couple demos. I'm starting to get the feeling I don't have enough PR area for my power. At tuning (which is 27Hz right now), at full tilt (which is 4200W right now), the PR's are making mechanical noises. Traveling a buttload, has to be at or damn near their 3.5" p-p rating. Not sure my subs really like 4200W either though, the motors are getting warm. Then again it's fucking 92 degrees at 10 o'clock. Fuck Texas.
Also noticed that it's not really that loud outside the car, but once you close the hatch, inside the car is decently loud. Loading is an amazing thing.

I can't wait until I get my Levi back. Because then I can start worrying about tuning the front stage and blending everything, and that means lower sub levels. Right now all I really care about are the subs.

I already want to be louder.
Mayne.. You're gonna have to ditch the PRs. I don't think your subs are able to breathe really. Considering their "sealed" for a lack of better term. I think if you did a normal ported box you'd have better output, not what you wanna hear. And you don't have to listen to me, that's just I personal opinion. Even though I think the PRs are ******.. I just feel like their limiting your set up

Loving the bars bro.. You gonna add another? Looks like there's certainly room for one, I may have missed it where you said how many you planned on running.

Mayne.. You're gonna have to ditch the PRs. I don't think your subs are able to breathe really. Considering their "sealed" for a lack of better term. I think if you did a normal ported box you'd have better output, not what you wanna hear. And you don't have to listen to me, that's just I personal opinion. Even though I think the PRs are ******.. I just feel like their limiting your set up
A ported set up would be louder. But the whole point of a PR set up is that it is more musical with better output over a sealed set up.

He made the right choice.

It should be about the music...

A ported set up would be louder. But the whole point of a PR set up is that it is more musical with better output over a sealed set up.He made the right choice.

I agree with you.. But he's saying he wants to be louder already. Sooo, what. Drop another how much, to have them build better PRs with more cone area that he doesn't have room for anyways? A ported set up will still be musical

[quote name='gckless']Went to the local weekly car show tonight, gave a couple demos. I'm starting to get the feeling I don't have enough PR area for my power. At tuning (which is 27Hz right now), at full tilt (which is 4200W right now), the PR's are making mechanical noises. Traveling a buttload, has to be at or damn near their 3.5" p-p rating. Not sure my subs really like 4200W either though, the motors are getting warm. Then again it's fucking 92 degrees at 10 o'clock. Fuck Texas.

Also noticed that it's not really that loud outside the car, but once you close the hatch, inside the car is decently loud. Loading is an amazing thing.

I can't wait until I get my Levi back. Because then I can start worrying about tuning the front stage and blending everything, and that means lower sub levels. Right now all I really care about are the subs.

I already want to be louder.[/QUOTE]

@TaylorFade ;
@ciaonzo ; @keep_hope_alive ;

I agree with you.. But he's saying he wants to be louder already. Sooo, what. Drop another how much, to have them build better PRs with more cone area that he doesn't have room for anyways? A ported set up will still be musical
Well. If louder is his goals. That would be the way to do it.

I agree ported is musical. I can't tell the difference. You just lose the ability to play every frequency loudly.

Originally I was going to run 3, and that's why the bars are bigger, a third would drop right in there. On 5k I would need it. But right now with 2, it only drops into the 13's, and that's at idle, with gains set for 4200W. With these subs, I'm thinking about keeping gain around 3800-4k. They are rated for 1800W each. That would ensure life out of them, and would limit the problem I'm having with the PR's right now. Well, that's what I'm thinking anyway. Experimentation will prove that. Then again, I still have to see if the PR Vd is actually a problem. To do that, I'm gonna change tuning, and see if they do that at another tuning.

And no doubt about limiting output. I knew that going in. The resistance the PR's add drop output by something like 3dB, though I'm not sure I've ever seen a side-by-side test done, that number has just kinda been thrown around. If maximum output is a goal, PR's are not for you in most cases. I still want to get the Levi back and see how good I can get this thing to sound. At full tilt on anything above 30Hz, there's no noise from this at all, just smooth output. I almost definitely will eventually build a ported enclosure, but that's more to compare vs. the PR enclosure than to actually be louder. At this point I just WANT to be louder, and am not actually going to take steps to be louder, does that make sense? Everyone wants to be louder //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

A ported set up would be louder. But the whole point of a PR set up is that it is more musical with better output over a sealed set up.He made the right choice.

This. You lose some output, goal is being more musical.

Definitely don't have more cone area room. But see, with PR's, it's not just cone area you need, it's Vd that you're concerned with, which is cone area times travel (Xmax). I may end up bugging Jacob to build me a set with his new parts //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

if i can play 25-50 strongly im a happy happy man, not sure about Gil though
25-50Hz strongly is good, fo sho. I am happy to play that strong too. Main reason I tried PR's was experimentation. One of the reasons I did that was because they are supposed to be smoother, if you will. That, and no one else really uses them (whether that's for a good reason or not I am finding out). I'm sure you'll agree that the sound of everyone's 25-50Hz sweep is not the same, even if you're around the same output level.

be patient.

how much tuning have you done with the PR's? there is a delicate balance there.

and it is likely you are giving the subs too much power. the point of having that much on reserve is for dynamic range. you don't need to try and use it all, all the time.

be patient.
how much tuning have you done with the PR's? there is a delicate balance there.

and it is likely you are giving the subs too much power. the point of having that much on reserve is for dynamic range. you don't need to try and use it all, all the time.
I haven't done a whole lot. I'm not going to change the setup yet, and I definitely plan on doing more testing. I've only really listened to it tuned to 35hz (unweighted) and 27Hz, which is what I have it at now.

And I agree about the subs power. Right now I'm at 4200W with a -5dB tone (the amp is a 5k). Going to reset it today for ~3700W with a -3dB tone.

So, retuned gain tonight. Went from ~4200W with a -5dB tone to ~3800W with a -3dB tone. Also bumped my tuning up from 27Hz to 30Hz. No more noise from the PR's, so that's good. I'll slowly tweak from here. I'm gonna keep power here for a little while until I know my subs will take it, then I might bump that up. Might go to ~4kW at the -3dB, but I'm gonna stick with the -3dB tone. Fronts will be set with a 0dB tone.

Not sure if it was the tuning raise or the power decrease that helped the problem. Tuning these things is a delicate balance. If I go too low, they're too heavy and it takes a lot to stop them. But if I tune too high, it sounds like poo (to me) and much more music hits tuning frequency, which is where the PR's are moving the most. And then factor in power, both in relation to the PR movement and the 3HP's handling, and I've got a lot to test.

I honestly can't really tell a huge musical difference from 27Hz tuning. I'll have to listen more.

Here are two videos I took today:

If someone knows wtf I can do to keep my hatch glass from rattling off, I'm all ears.

Couple quick things. Haven't done much because of this girl:
DSC_5475_zps8671ab24.jpg

I'm volunteering with Guide Dogs of Texas, and I'm boarding (a.k.a. dogsitting) her on weekends.

Anyway, got SHCA wire from Jim this week, 50ft. of OFC. Also got this loom:

A945F9B1-72FB-41FE-B517-E3A302C15800-51386-00001EA74C779227_zps1574075e.jpg

Gave in and bought a torch and vice so I can solder everything:

55CF6DCD-DB14-4F81-9D92-D0C234F43E22-51386-00001EA7580E515C_zps7286aad5.jpg

Actually, this was my first time soldering these big lugs. I won't not solder again. **** that crimper! Lol.

Cut my front to rear runs of wire. I measured with rope and gave myself extra, so I'm just praying I have enough once I actually get it in the car. Shouldn't have done it this way, but I am bored. Put the loom on, soldered on one side of terminals:

DSC_5477_zpsd870d101.jpg

DSC_5490_zps7b29ca9b.jpg

DSC_5492_zps0cbb11d5.jpg

DSC_5495_zps6804b227.jpg

Also found the best spot ever for my ground:

IMG_2495_arrow_zpse7a4c059.jpg

Aaaaaaand just a picture for fun:

A0774175-E427-418A-A575-6DC70C87C2AD-51386-00001EA7519FD4F5_zps534127c8.jpg
How did you solder those lugs without openings at the top? fed the solder where the wire enters? It all looks great btw man

How did you solder those lugs without openings at the top? fed the solder where the wire enters? It all looks great btw man
Those terminals just have the top opening, so you just melt a pool of solder in there and then shove your wire in. Some solder splashes out, but you can just reuse that on your next one.

Those terminals just have the top opening, so you just melt a pool of solder in there and then shove your wire in. Some solder splashes out, but you can just reuse that on your next one.
Duh ha guess I should have guessed that... never dealt with closed ones like that before. Those subs look sick man, and the radiators, although I see you may be regretting the loss inoutput over ported already:p:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.