2 channel+powered sub vs. 4 channel+bridge?

Participant count
  • Participant list
you cannot power speakers and a sub with a 2 channel amp, things will sound like a bloody mess. Get a 3 channel amp with two for components and the 3rd mono channel for subs.

4 and 2 channel amps arent good for powering subs unless they have very high quality crossovers to prevent subs from playing vocals.

I would say to go ahead and try your idea with the 2 ch and the powered sub. I think it will sound just a slight bit better than running your sub off of the rear channels of a 4ch amp. Another idea you might want to think about is a 5ch amp with its own dedicated sub channel, that way you can get a little more power to your sub with the right amp. The 5ch will also give you more options, like if you wanted to run an active front stage you could. I would use at least 4 gauge wire too.

I would prefer the 4 ch option just because I've never heard an active sub I liked. I hear the Infinity's are decent, but not much else - not even sure they make them any more.

Then again, I haven't spent much time around active's -- I'm guessing there are a few good ones out there.

A good sized 4 ch can give you 300-400w rms to work with and doesn't restrict you to an undersized box and low power amp that a lot of active subs are going to give you.

And I have zero issues with using a 2-4 ch to run subs.

There will probably come a day where I downsize from my current two amp set up and go back to the 4 ch option you're considering. It's efficient in cost, space, and installation complexity.

i also like running a single 4 channel amp to power comps on two channels and bridge the other two to a sub. many 4 channels amps are made for this and have the crossover settings needed.

you are very limited with a powered sub.

what's your budget? plenty of used amps can do this also.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.