2003 VW Passat evap system

Participant count
  • Participant list

jmgb4
10+ year member

Well I will give the best description I can and hope its enough (if not ask).

I drive an 2003 VW Passat 2.8L v6 with about 91k miles on it. So far everything is in killer condition except the check engine light is on. I took it to a friend and we did some research on it and he said its the evap system. The indicator says its a leak smaller than a pinhole (if my memory is correct its P0456).. Well I took it to another friend at a car dealership and he ran some liquid smoke through it with no luck. He has done it three times now and cannot find a leak. Any suggestions?

I also took it to the VW dealer and they quoted me like 900-1000 bucks on parts alone. I think this is high (usually they are but authentic VW parts are and thats why they are so much). I took it to my other friend and also found that it would be expensive (think he said around 600$). Anybody know where I can find a cheaper? or better yet a easy way to fix the evap system? I know its not that important but if something major does go wrong with the engine and that light comes back up I want to get it fixed asap (and I cannot while its erroring on that evap system and the lights on).

I do know that the first thing to go (and easiest to fix) is usually the gas cap. I talked with my dealership friend and he said he can get one for me. Besides that I dont know what else (easy) could be wrong.

I really dont want to start throwing money at it when I could be throwing money at making my sound system better //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Well the EVAP system isn't really that important and won't really affect your car's performance, you MAY lose 1~3mpg and smell gasoline every once in a while but that's about it.

I get codes for "EVAP system small leak detected" but my car has a built-in code scanner and I can clear the code & the check engine light right from my dash.

I have the exact same thing on my car. I got it fixed for around $700 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif. Now I'm getting the same code again now less than 6 months of getting it fixed. I'm probably going to take it back to the shop that did the work the first time and see if they can do something about it for cheap since they supposedly fixed it the first time. I have the reciept for the work they did to fix it. When I get home I'll find it and pm you what was done. It's a completely different car but maybe it will help you some how. The good thing is it's not a big deal, but like you said, if something bad does happen to your car you won't be able to tell because the check engine light is already on.

Well the EVAP system isn't really that important and won't really affect your car's performance, you MAY lose 1~3mpg and smell gasoline every once in a while but that's about it.
I get codes for "EVAP system small leak detected" but my car has a built-in code scanner and I can clear the code & the check engine light right from my dash.
Yeah I'm glad its not important. What do you use to view the codes from the dash? Is it difficult / expensive to install?

Yeah I'm glad its not important. What do you use to view the codes from the dash? Is it difficult / expensive to install?
It's built-in on my car(hidden feature that isn't even in the manual) and it tells me the code on my digital dash, not sure about any other cars though. I drive a 98 Cadillac Deville.

You can buy a code scanner that works with your car for anywhere from $70 to $200, that tool can clear the check engine light until it gets triggered again. I just keep clearing the code whenever I see it every few weeks or so.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.