5-6k amp

Participant count
  • Participant list
Well for box rise that's why bc I'm only outputting about 1200 watts of 3500 watts so I figured with a 8k I'll get the full 3500 watts without it being hot
Not exactly how that works. You'll end up toasting your subs or possibly the amp trying to overcome impedance rise. If you want to have additional power if and when you have more drivers or higher powered subs, that's different story. You cannot mitigate impedance rise, fact of life.

Not exactly how that works. You'll end up toasting your subs or possibly the amp trying to overcome impedance rise. If you want to have additional power if and when you have more drivers or higher powered subs, that's different story. You cannot mitigate impedance rise, fact of life.
But I thought if I got let's say a 5k amp and the output only is 2500k watts then if I say I got an 8k and got a 3k watt output with the gain right then the subs would be getting underpowered and shouldn't blow them?

But I thought if I got let's say a 5k amp and the output only is 2500k watts then if I say I got an 8k and got a 3k watt output with the gain right then the subs would be getting underpowered and shouldn't blow them?
That's correct, you can do that for sure. You cannot set it up to overcome impedance gain though, that's physics. Nothing wrong with getting a brute of an amp and setting the gains conservatively to accommodate the RMS of the subs you have currently. I'll be doing as much with my SD 2400.1 going to a pair of 400 watt RMS Focal subs. The Soundigital EVOPS 2400.1 puts out 1590 at 4 ohms which is twice the RMS rating of my subs. The gains will be set very conservatively and everyone will be happy and cool to play together.

That's correct, you can do that for sure. You cannot set it up to overcome impedance gain though, that's physics. Nothing wrong with getting a brute of an amp and setting the gains conservatively to accommodate the RMS of the subs you have currently. I'll be doing as much with my SD 2400.1 going to a pair of 400 watt RMS Focal subs. The Soundigital EVOPS 2400.1 puts out 1590 at 4 ohms which is twice the RMS rating of my subs. The gains will be set very conservatively and everyone will be happy and cool to play together.
That's exactly what I'm doing I'm gonna get the 8k and watch the output if it excess without clipping or 3k then I'll turn it down to match the 3k but if I have it right before clipping and still not hitting 3k then I'll leave it at that so that I don't blow the amp or my subs 😁😁

Try one of taramps smart line...they do about the same power at 1 or 2 ohms

Last edited:
And honestly unless you're playing tones for numbers...you'd be surprised how little power subs actually get with music, even at full knob 😂

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...