A/B vs Class D for Subwoofer SQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to know how rc10mike scored on the Klippel distortion test since he claims he can tell a difference in the 20 to 80 Hz range!

As I learned the hard way, what I once blamed on amp topology and 1 ohm impedance turned out to be clipping and distortion in an improperly tuned system! Well that and the fact that many now rely on those cheap ass built-in crossovers on their amplifiers but that is another topic for another thread!

I want to know how rc10mike scored on the Klippel distortion test since he claims he can tell a difference in the 20 to 80 Hz range!
He claimed -36 dB with zero wrong while drinking. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Best I ever got was -39 dB which is 1% THD on my crappy computer speakers. Again, it's not that we can really hear to this level, it's necessary that we're good guessers. As the test proceeds you're less and less likely to be a good guesser - hence RC's statistical power and his $10k on the line. May the Schwartz be with you if you take the test. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif

Distortiontest2.jpg

LoL! Behringer is the bottom of the barrel amateur crap. Not pro gear. Sorry, we don't use any behringer products in pro live audio. I've never seen any in pro studios either. Some smaller clubs get that stuff, but they soon regret it and have to buy real gear. It's for DJ's and home/amatuer gear.Mine and your opinion is irrellevent. It is simply not found in pro audio. The money people don't buy that crap. They buy racks of crowns, crest, qsc, etc. No behringer.

We occasionally see some makie and rane stuff, but that's pretty low end too. Good for amateurs, but not pro.

I don't work weddings and barmitzfahs (sp?). I'm talking about major theaters, arenas, stadiums and concert halls.

If your not familiar with names like Midas, Meyer, L'Acoustics, D&B, LabGruben and DigiDesign you don't know what I'm talking about. That's pro audio.
I may not be in the industry as you are.. but I've seen and used many brands, and I still disagree with your notion that behringer is inherently crap..

Infact I know many people who use behringer gear, mostly musicians.. and please don't pretend that hauling gear in the back of a van to different bars every weekend is going to be any less rigorous then hauling gear for a 30,000 seat venue..

Case in point is my Dad who rents out PA gear.. he can tell you all about gear that gets overdriven, dropped, drinks spilled on, puked on, ect.. he has owned amplifiers from a countless number of brands.. and although he jokingly refers to my EP2500's as 'Euro Trash' he has used them and has been impressed with their performance...

I wouldn't pretend that a behringer is as good of an amp as a crown, or the like (because of ratings, not build).. but they are still nice amps at a price you can't beat..

You are entitled to your opinion.. but considering half your arguement was that a Behringer amp can't handle an increase in impedance due to power compression coupled with the fact that you are a self proclaimed amplifier 'snob'.. well I would take your opinion with a large grain of salt..

You are entitled to your opinion.. but considering half your arguement was that a Behringer amp can't handle an increase in impedance due to power compression coupled with the fact that you are a self proclaimed amplifier 'snob'.. well I would take your opinion with a large grain of salt..
Never said that. You don't want my advice, don't take it. Doesn't change the fact that behringer is the absolute bottom of the barrel junk that is NOT used in pro audio. Basically equivallent to Boss amplifiers in car audio.

I would contend that their is nothing inherently wrong with Boss amps either (other then being overrated). Indeed, if all you are after is a simple gain block with no special features then a boss amp will do everything any other brand will do..

Never said that.
It sure sounds like that is what you are trying to elude to here:

Behringer's cannot handle the huge variation is impedence load we deal with. We start the show with a nominal 8, 4 or 2 ohm load, but after you have 100+ drivers heat up after a couple of hours, then you see the men and the boys get seperated.

My bottom line is that I see far more value in being picky about drivers then I do amplifiers.. and it seems to me alot of people have too many preconcieved notions that a more expensive or presidious brand of amplifier is always going to be 'better' then something else that is cheaper...

Again, I've been inside an EP2500 and I didn't see anything wrong with the build quality.. just my $.02

^ thats fine.. read this first:

I've repaired PA amps and recone drivers for someone I know who rents out PA gear.. and I've seen what his gear goes through..

Infact, been working with this same guy hauling around and setting up gear since I was 8 years old.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

Meh, I don't even want to tell you how many tinsel leads I have repaired on Yorkville self-powered subwoofers. I will admit though, that was a smart way to keep my friend's rental subwoofers from blowing since the tinsel leads break away from the terminal before the subwoofer reaches xmax:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...