AduioControl DSP options

Participant count
  • Participant list

Doxquzme
Premium Member

Current build, 2012 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5T
Boise, ID
Kicking myself as I just missed out on an AudioControl DSP DM-810 at $399 shipped tax-free, very disappointed. That said, am considering the DQDX (6 in/8 out - RCA) as I can have one at around $250 to $300 second-hand. And yes I've considered a 608 and Audison units and unless they are around that $250-$300 mark, not interested.
My gear is the following, you can assume that the electrical (dual bat, 250A alt), cabling, all peripherals, and accessories are of excellent quality:
HU Pio PRS80
Amplification:
Focal FPP 2300.RX to Front Pioneer 6.75" 2-way Z series Comps
Audio Control 4.300, bridged to rear Pioneer Z series 6.75" coaxials
DS18 Hooligan 3K to two Focal 33V2 13" subs (in a sealed 3.44 cubic foot enclosure) and a stinger 5-farad hybrid cap (cause I have it lying around)
An extra Focal FDP 4.600 for possible active options down the road.

My question goes more to functionality.

I liked the 8/10 unit as it is very slick and the software is nice. That said, not going to shell out $800 for a new one. I think I would like the DQDX too. It's more mechanized and therein lies my conundrum. I have a Dayton Calibration Mic and REW calibration software. Would this work? I don't mind fiddling with knobs, for $400 I'll gladly sit in my car and fiddle. This is applicable regardless if I go active or passive. While I fully understand the benefits of going active, not thinking I want to at this point. The Pio HU has pretty decent EQ and calibration with it too. Am I going to realize a big difference using the DQDX?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
After careful assessment and a lot of reading, going active. With that in mind, would need the AC DM8/10 or another with 10 pre-outs. I think that I'm getting an Audison Bit Nove - let the fun begin!!

After careful assessment and a lot of reading, going active. With that in mind, would need the AC DM8/10 or another with 10 pre-outs. I think that I'm getting an Audison Bit Nove - let the fun begin!!
Best of luck. I have seen guys fiddling with DSPs using RTAs, mics, WD40s, SR22s, and whatnot. Beyond my skill level but their results always impressive.

I had a dayton dsp hooked up for a couple weeks...I noticed I was listening more for things to tweak rather than actually listening to the music...so the dsp came out 😂

I understand folks. I was skeptical too but... I ended up changing at the last minute. Ordered the DM810. I'm going full active and that makes a substantial difference. I have a friend here in town, he owns a nice car audio shop and he's going to swap some networking machines for all the tuning help I need, could not pass it up. His installer is a whizzbang with DSP, specifically AudioControl. I got the AC for what I was looking at spending for the Audison, not thinking I could go wrong here. Should be fun (sort of).

The regular little Dayton isn't in the same league with this unit. I tried it too, in the HT setup and ended up returning it and getting the much better HD unit and it makes a difference. I found the REW software a bit awkward to learn. I already own a great MiniDSP UMIK-1 calibration mic and stand, so just got to learn the ropes with the AC interface. A big 17" HD laptop screen should make it easier for these old eyes to get'r done!

Last edited:
I'm probably gonna end up with another dsp at some point...too much temptation to add shiny things to my stereo to hold out forever 🤣

I got spokey buy one already....He could have had two since I sold both the Dayton DSP-408 and that Helix DSP V1. But I guess Sancho didn't buy him enough time or enough in bribery to get both done ;) lol

I got spokey buy one already....He could have had two since I sold both the Dayton DSP-408 and that Helix DSP V1. But I guess Sancho didn't buy him enough time or enough in bribery to get both done ;) lol
I pulled the dayton after a couple weeks...I really wasn't listening to the music more like listening for things to tune 😂 next time I'll have someone who knows what they're doing tune it 😳

Really have to use a calibration MIC. I run 5 subs in the HT and after getting all of them to play nice with the 4x8DSP, I was able to attenuate to my liking and tweak a bit, which really made a huge difference. I spent a whole 4 day weekend, Measuring, tweaking (the system), and listening until it was to my liking, I own/play Drums, BASS, Cello, and Keyboards so it's not like I don't have a bit of an ear for it. It's not so much what you think you hear, it's really about what you're missing. It's paid for now, ain't no going back!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...