AMP going into protect...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Zackster

Alabama
Be honest... is my amp just ****** and can't produce enough power for my subs, or am I doing something wrong? My amp is a Crunch powerzone pzi 2250 1000 watt max 2 channel 250watt rms per channel (bridgeable @ 4 ohms). My subs: 2 Pioneer TS-W303R 12" 250 watt rms 1200 watt max 4ohm SVC. I currently have my subs wired 1 sub per channel which is a final impedance of 8 ohms. I've bridged them in the past for a final impedance of 2 ohms and, no surprise, the amp went into protect pretty quickly and felt like hot magma... The thing is, it still goes into protect on and off with an 8 ohm config... Before you ask, I have my gain set moderately (about 10 o'clock). The hpf knob also goes infinitely in both directions (in other words, it's broken...) As for wire gauge, I have 6 gauge power/ground and 16 for speaker wire. My box is a sealed (I've heard sealed boxes cause more strain or something) pickup truck box made of crappy pressed board.

Be honest... is my amp just ****** and can't produce enough power for my subs, or am I doing something wrong? My amp is a Crunch powerzone pzi 2250 1000 watt max 2 channel 250watt rms per channel (bridgeable @ 4 ohms). My subs: 2 Pioneer TS-W303R 12" 250 watt rms 1200 watt max 4ohm SVC. I currently have my subs wired 1 sub per channel which is a final impedance of 8 ohms. I've bridged them in the past for a final impedance of 2 ohms and, no surprise, the amp went into protect pretty quickly and felt like hot magma... The thing is, it still goes into protect on and off with an 8 ohm config... Before you ask, I have my gain set moderately (about 10 o'clock). The hpf knob also goes infinitely in both directions (in other words, it's broken...) As for wire gauge, I have 6 gauge power/ground and 16 for speaker wire. My box is a sealed (I've heard sealed boxes cause more strain or something) pickup truck box made of crappy pressed board.
If there's a bass boost option make sure that's all the way down. Set the gain to match the head unit's RCA output voltage (often 2V) if the dial has voltage markings. The HPF being set wrong probably doesn't affect the amp going into protect, but HPF is the high pass filter. You'd want this set low for a sub, like 32Hz low. If there's a LPF (or low pass filter), or a switch to set this instead you'd want this around 80Hz. Sometimes you can set this on the HU as well, but then you'd want the filter on the amp off or "through". If you have a subsonic filter you want that at like 30Hz. The wire gauge looks look. Maybe if the 6 gauge is aluminum and you've got like a 20' run it could be problematic, but I'd first make sure your grounds are solid. It should have a ring terminal and be bolted to unpainted (or sanded) metal.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.