Anything beat a Soundqubed HDS312 at the pricepoint?

Umbra

Hobbyist & CA Tenderfoot
I've been contemplating replacing my two subs in a sealed enclosure for one with twice the power handling (the same power - just on one sub) in a similarly sized, ported enclosure. I liked the look of the American Bass XFL 12, but I just saw Soundqubed's equivalent, which is cheaper and takes more power - the HDS312. There's also a 15" cone model for an extra $10 if I can fit it. I know a lot of people here rave about SQ's price to power ratio, so I thought I'd check them out.

I'm going to be feeding whatever I get about 500, 750, or 900W RMS. I've got multiple amps and wiring options, but I've yet to discover if my electrical could handle 900W well on top of my 4 channel. When I get another car, hopefully within the year I'd go all in with a H/O alt and power it fully and maybe even get a second.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been hearing of SQ having some issues with build quality recently. While it's a good value and I usually reccomend them for people on a budget, those XFL's are no slouch and are generally considered to be a good matchup to a hdc3, which is a better sub than the HDS series.

Sound quebed does not honor their warranties on the sub's so I would recommend the american bass.
Did you or someone you know have a problem with them? There are exceptions to their two year warranty (Burnt or open coils, Customer abuse or competition use and power in excess of rating, and Amplifiers used in competition or run below rated ohm loads or voltage), but I don't plan on running passed rated or at low impedances.

30 bucks more TC Sounds Epic 12" DVC Subwoofer
but i have the 10 and love love it, most likely could take the power you have to offer.
Granted, they can probably take more than rated RMS, but that's only 500W.

I've been hearing of SQ having some issues with build quality recently. While it's a good value and I usually reccomend them for people on a budget, those XFL's are no slouch and are generally considered to be a good matchup to a hdc3, which is a better sub than the HDS series.
I've heard of people running 1,500W RMS on the XFLs. My only hesitation with the XFL is the price. I see them go for ~$180 on eBay new, but I know it's better to go through a dealer so I have warranties and support. Before I hit up mylows, anyone know roughly what one will run me?

Did you or someone you know have a problem with them? There are exceptions to their two year warranty (Burnt or open coils, Customer abuse or competition use and power in excess of rating, and Amplifiers used in competition or run below rated ohm loads or voltage), but I don't plan on running passed rated or at low impedances.

Granted, they can probably take more than rated RMS, but that's only 500W.

I've heard of people running 1,500W RMS on the XFLs. My only hesitation with the XFL is the price. I see them go for ~$180 on eBay new, but I know it's better to go through a dealer so I have warranties and support. Before I hit up mylows, anyone know roughly what one will run me?
180-200 shipped, usually the latter unless its B-stock or some big sale.

here's a reference point American Bass XFL12| High Performance Car stereo 12" subwoofer

I wouldnt go to say that they are comparable to hdc3s though. Also any build quality issues were always made right by DJC on here aka the owner of soundqubed.

Wasn't there a thread where someone found an AQ/SQ dustcap on their American Bass woofer? Same stuff made in the same factory by the same Chinese kids.

About the only thing I've heard so far from people using HDS series is that they're failing prematurely from the cheap glues used on those Chinese coils and of course they don't warranty slinky'd coil. Really I'm not sure if it's changed but back when they were AudioQue they were notorious for not honoring warranties on their failed softparts claiming that users didn't "break in" properly or some such malarkey.

Frankly, I'd say the recones are cheap enough either way that you might as well just take your chances on whatever you can get for the least money, because odds are warranty won't do much for you.

180-200 shipped, usually the latter unless its B-stock or some big sale. here's a reference point American Bass XFL12| High Performance Car stereo 12" subwoofer

I wouldnt go to say that they are comparable to hdc3s though. Also any build quality issues were always made right by DJC on here aka the owner of soundqubed.
Thanks for the pricing info. Car Stereo Giant is the eBay seller I was looking at. I'm not too savvy about how this works: they're a reseller, not a dealer? So certain warranties and support don't have to be honored by them if I go that route?

Wasn't there a thread where someone found an AQ/SQ dustcap on their American Bass woofer? Same stuff made in the same factory by the same Chinese kids.
About the only thing I've heard so far from people using HDS series is that they're failing prematurely from the cheap glues used on those Chinese coils and of course they don't warranty slinky'd coil. Really I'm not sure if it's changed but back when they were AudioQue they were notorious for not honoring warranties on their failed softparts claiming that users didn't "break in" properly or some such malarkey.

Frankly, I'd say the recones are cheap enough either way that you might as well just take your chances on whatever you can get for the least money, because odds are warranty won't do much for you.
I remember that thread. Here it is: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofers/604306-ab-xfl-aq-dustcap-whaaaa-3.html.
Well that *****. If it were something a little more accessible I could put a bit more glue on it, but the coil is in there. Of course adding glue would probably void the warranty anyway.

Nevermind guys. I found this sick BOSS Phantom woofer on Amazon for $50. That's like 1/4th of the price and it takes more power. It's also got..like..the Grim Reaper or something on it - probably adds deebeez. I'll probably hit 150 no prob with a pair of those puppies.

http://www.amazon.com/BOSS-P126DVC-Phantom-2300-watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0032FOKQA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407741339&sr=8-2&keywords=boss+phantom

Sweet! And a 5kW amp to power the pair, and it's only $150. I don't know why you guys spend $1k on amps.

http://www.amazon.com/PH5000D-Phantom-5000-Watt-Monoblock-Amplifier/dp/B0032FOKX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407741339&sr=8-1&keywords=boss+phantom

For real, though. It really seems like a toss up. Warranties and build house talk aside, it seems like the XFL is a slightly beefier woofer. Just slightly. I don't know if it warrants another $40, but if no one has anything good to say about the HDS I think I'm leaning towards the XFL.

Thanks for the pricing info. Car Stereo Giant is the eBay seller I was looking at. I'm not too savvy about how this works: they're a reseller, not a dealer? So certain warranties and support don't have to be honored by them if I go that route?
I remember that thread. Here it is: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofers/604306-ab-xfl-aq-dustcap-whaaaa-3.html.

Well that *****. If it were something a little more accessible I could put a bit more glue on it, but the coil is in there. Of course adding glue would probably void the warranty anyway.

Nevermind guys. I found this sick BOSS Phantom woofer on Amazon for $50. That's like 1/4th of the price and it takes more power. It's also got..like..the Grim Reaper or something on it - probably adds deebeez. I'll probably hit 150 no prob with a pair of those puppies.

Amazon.com : BOSS Audio P126DVC Phantom 12-inch 2300-watt DUAL Voice Coil Subwoofer : Vehicle Subwoofers : Car Electronics

Sweet! And a 5kW amp to power the pair, and it's only $150. I don't know why you guys spend $1k on amps.

Amazon.com : Boss PH5000D Phantom 5000-Watt Class D Monoblock Amplifier with Remote : Vehicle Mono Subwoofer Amplifiers : Car Electronics

For real, though. It really seems like a toss up. Warranties and build house talk aside, it seems like the XFL is a slightly beefier woofer. Just slightly. I don't know if it warrants another $40, but if no one has anything good to say about the HDS I think I'm leaning towards the XFL.
I'd go American Bass personally..Seen lots of blown SQ/AQ subs lately around CL and FB.Maybe it's cause there's more of em out there or just user error but XFL's seem to take the abuse better.Can't go wrong with Boss man.Stuff is greatttt.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif

I think its mainly user error. I'm a huge fan of SQ/AQ and haven't had any problem. I've read too many reviews of people saying they play these subs on full gain full tilt. I think the reasonable price attracts alot of negligent people.

negligent my ***. I bought 2 AQ HDC 10's Aluminum coil subs. Ran them off an RD Audio D5 at 1 ohm which is rated at 2000 at 1 ohm. The coils did not burn but the coils separated where they are connected to the spiders. This happened within the first month of owning them. I did everything they said to do and did not play below the tuning frequency. When I called them and told them what happened, they immediately said it sounds like user error before even asking what kind of box they were in or anything. They told me to go buy 2 part epoxy from home depot and try to glue it myself. They would not even send me the CA glue. For this reason I will never support AQ or SQ, which should stand for **** quality.

You wouldn't happen to know anyone that sells AB would you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif
I recommend sb. Because of bobs warranty. I even get subs warrantied if you slinky the coils but usually only once and if it's not done where the coil looks like a rats nest. He usually replaced my warrantied items.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.