Assistance with electrical connections requested.

Participant count
  • Participant list

i2ain2thunder
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
st paul, mn
Hi guys. I've had my current setup for about a year now. I don't have the money to do any major upgrades or changes for a while. But I would like to look into something that may be a limiting factor in my system, that I could possibly fix up on the cheap. That would be my connections.

Heres what I got for connections:

1/0 Big 3 (to standard OEM - and + locations).

1/0 from + on Optima Yellowtop to Amplifiers.

1/0 and 4 gauge runs from Amps - to trunk ground. (found a bolt to use that connects to the trunk chasis.) Red paint was sanded from that spot for a more optimal ground.

Here's my initial problems.

1 age, it seems about all of the connections in the engine and the ground in the trunk over time become worse with corrosion/rusting/oxidizing etc.

When I go through and redo my connections I usually just end up scratching everything I can with a wire brush or sandpaper.

What are some of the things you guys do to keep these connections clean over time, and should I find a better ground for my amps (until I can afford another yellowtop for the rear (parallel with a dedicated ground run).

Is there a certain type of metal u look for in your ring connectors?

Do you seal connections with silicone or something similar?

Should I be looking to get different bolts that go into these connection spots? Put a certain type of washer on? Use any dielectric grease?

Just to give you guys a quick peak at it I took some phots quickly:

I apologize for the poor quality, but just to give you an idea how bad some of my connections are:

Battery:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.