Bandpass = Sounds like azs

DidUHearThat?
10+ year member

Precious Bodily Fluids
Please stop building and buying these crappy subwoofer box designs. Every bandpass box I have ever heard sounds like azs. I know it can be done correctly, but it never is done correctly and there is no point,. Bandpass can be achieved electronically before the audio reaches the box. There are plenty of good folded, vented, IB and sealed designs to use.

The world does not need another thump box with limited frequency range that does not sound like the source sound.

Please burn or smash any bandpass boxes you find.

^--Bandpass hater.

rage2.jpg

Bandpass's aren't built for sq, they are built to get loud.
Any traditional box style can be used as an equally limited band box with equal thump at the same limited freq's. Just use your crossover to limit the band your box receives. Instant BP, but you can open up the crossover to increase SQ after the driver enjoys his butt pounding session. I seriously think a lot of these guys just like the feeling of getting their azs pounded. Sound quality or music is irrelevant. I think I'll just start buying these guys vibrators so I won't have to listen to their azs massage.

Please stop building and buying these crappy subwoofer box designs. Every bandpass box I have ever heard sounds like azs. I know it can be done correctly, but it never is done correctly and there is no point,. Bandpass can be achieved electronically before the audio reaches the box. There are plenty of good folded, vented, IB and sealed designs to use.
The world does not need another thump box with limited frequency range that does not sound like the source sound.

Please burn or smash any bandpass boxes you find.

^--Bandpass hater.
I understand. You said it yourself, you've never heard a good bandpass setup. They are out there, and they can sound very good. When done right, they will produce less audible noise than a traditional box design. The bandpass function of the enclosure tends to filter out a lot of distortion in the upper range, and the sub is buried inside the box which makes for less mechanical noise.

And contrary to what you believe, they are more efficient than traditional box designs. You can just tighten up the passband on your xover with your sealed or ported box, and get the same efficiency a BP enclosure offers.

True, this efficiency comes at the price of a more limited passband. Even with well designed BP enclosures, the narrower passband tends to create a hole in the midbass region, and the added efficiency makes for a greater difference in output potential between the sub system and the weaker front stage, for most people's unbalanced stereos. But you cant blame poor implementation on the enclosure design. With a strong front stage, strong up-front midbass, and good tuning, a system using a BP enclosure can sound very very good.

And that's not even mentioning all the poorly designed pre-fab BP boxes out there giving the design type a bad reputation. Its not easy to do a BP setup well. But when you nail it, you'll have a very low distortion sub setup that flexes your eardrums accurately and effortlessly.

I understand. You said it yourself, you've never heard a good bandpass setup. They are out there, and they can sound very good. When done right, they will produce less audible noise than a traditional box design. The bandpass function of the enclosure tends to filter out a lot of distortion in the upper range, and the sub is buried inside the box which makes for less mechanical noise.
And contrary to what you believe, they are more efficient than traditional box designs. You can just tighten up the passband on your xover with your sealed or ported box, and get the same efficiency a BP enclosure offers.

True, this efficiency comes at the price of a more limited passband. Even with well designed BP enclosures, the added efficiency tends to create a hole in the midbass region, and a greater difference in output potential between the sub system and the weaker front stage. But you cant blame poor implementation on the enclosure design. With a strong front stage, strong up-front midbass, and good tuning, a system using a BP enclosure can sound very very good.

And that's not even mentioning all the poorly designed pre-fab BP boxes out there giving the design type a bad reputation. Its not easy to do a BP setup well. But when you nail it, you'll have a very low distortion sub setup that flexes your eardrums accurately and effortlessly.
^^^you stole the words out of my brain LOL.

I've had this in my daily trunk for a while:
2011-04-14_13-25-45_964.jpg

I had the exact problem Audioholic described, I'm changing my setup simply because my bass was so magnificent that my front stage could not keep up and I don't plan on changing that for a while.

Remember, "Over the years I have learned that for every assumption about audio there are exceptions that could lead one to conclude the exact opposite." -Steve Decket- of Decware/Zen Audio (Designer of that enclosure^)

^^^you stole the words out of my brain LOL. I've had this in my daily trunk for a while:
2011-04-14_13-25-45_964.jpg

I had the exact problem Audioholic described, I'm changing my setup simply because my bass was so magnificent that my front stage could not keep up and I don't plan on changing that for a while.
Box could use some bedliner or carpet to make it look better...but looks pretty solid

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.