Best CHEAP sound deadener?????????????

eb2phkingood
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
kansas
ok, my brother is paying for this out of his own pocket and cant afford dynamat or second skin. ive heard of damplifier, raam, and fatmat, however i have no idea which one to tell him to buy. he has a 2001 camaro SS so he is a little concerned about adding a lot of weight to his car as well, he says he like to stay under about 50 pounds. he is not looking for ALL out performance here, he more so said "id like to get the trunk area and wheel wells done to reduce some of the road noise. Also my rear hatch rattles and im not sure if i can add a deadener to stop that as unlike a normal trunk lid, my so called trunk lid is actually a huge piece of glass"

so he wants to do the trunk/wheel wells. if there is a way to take some of the rattle out of the hatch he wants to do that as well, he's running 1 type X with a ported box, (why ported on a type x i have no idea, but his car, not mine) from there, if the trunk/wheel wells area is not over 50 pounds he might consider doing the doors. but keep in mind he wants the cheapest good stuff, and by good he knows it wont be second skin quality most likely, but at least it will help SOME.

so to recap:

1) he wants to do trunk + wheel wells. If its possible to stop the hatch from rattling he wants to do that as well and obviously IMPROVE his sound quality as much as possible + spl.

2) he wants the best cheap stuff that you guys recommend

3) he doesnt wanna apply more than about 50 pounds, so if you could give a sq ft of the brand you recommend that would = about 50 pounds that would be ideal

4) he will be doing the doors as well if trunk+wheel wells+hatch rattle+doors = less than 50 pounds

5) LASTLY, if anyone knows if you can stop the rattle on the hatch and explain how to do it, it would be greatly appreciated.

although i have an f-body car myself i have had no experience with this stuff yet (about to do my dads mustang in a few weeks)

pos rep coming to anyone who helps!! thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had great success with a product called "Quick Roof" from home depot. But that is just me. It is very cheap and did the job for me.

This. Ive used it personally and can say its great stuff.
everyone keeps linking me to this webpage. once im there i have no idea where to go??????? what am i suppose to read or click on? mass loaded vinyl barriers or what? im at such a loss with that link. me so dum, kan sum1 help splain two me?

I just bought 120 sq feet of E-Dead off Amazon for $120 + $20 shipping. That's the cheapest real sound deadener I've found. Don't buy the cheap stuff off Ebay because it's roofing products. I've used it before, and it works OK, but its not as light or high quality as a real sound deadener.

everyone keeps linking me to this webpage. once im there i have no idea where to go??????? what am i suppose to read or click on? mass loaded vinyl barriers or what? im at such a loss with that link. me so dum, kan sum1 help splain two me?
You would want the CLD tiles. Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information They are just 6x10" sections of sound deadener. Technically you only need 25% coverage to be effective. Read the tech sections on that site.

I found that if you use latex elastomeric roof coating like Garden Gibson and mix in ceramic or glass microspheres can be found at a few places works real well. Its basically the same stuff as lizardskin. You will also get a thermal shield as well as soundproofing. Use google and put in DIY lizardskin.

Last edited by a moderator:
You just have to email him

don@sounddeadenershowdown.com

Just tell him what product you want and how much. He will then reply with your total with shipping, usually 2 different options on shipping (flat rate is almost always the cheaper), and his paypal addy. Send money and he will send your stuff out.

This. Ive used it personally and can say its great stuff.
This stuff is awesome. I bought 10 for my trunklid, TOTAL OVERKILL. Coulda gotten away with like 4. This stuff is nice. Watch the vids, if you place them correctly you can get away with doing a trunk lid for probably 12 bucks or so

you don't want roofing material - it doesn't actually perform the purpose of sound deadening, it just adds smelly mass. sound deadening is supposed to be made from a viscoelastic damping compound.

I think Raammat BXT is the cheapest actual deadener you'll find.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.