Best Components - Smooth & Natural

livinloud89
10+ year member

I currently have the Focal 165 K2P's in the front and Focal 165 VR's in the back. They are good speakers very detailed but they are harsh & hard to tune. They are either too harsh or too neutral by neutral I mean the sound becomes hollow. Im looking for speakers that sound very natural and smooth that don't hurt the ears and dont cause fatigue. What do you guys recommend? Ive heard the HERTZ MLK 165's and wasnt impressed. I am very picky when it comes to speakers. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

This is my current setup with pics //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384772

Ive been considering the polk sr6500's what do you guys think?

You will probably get a ton of different responses on this one.

For me I am an MB Quart fan.

I had a set, loved them, sold them, then bought a set of Kicker RS6C's.

The Kickers were harsh, very harsh. I wasnt happy despite all of the positive reviews.

Sold that set and now have a german made set of 6.5 components.

Not fatiguing. not harsh.

Every time I turn them on I am happy.

But since they are now made in China (or wherever they are made now) I may end up switching to a different brand. Eventually.

Ive heard the JL Audio C5 series and they are much smoother. I considered buying them cause I own the Focal utopia's right now and they are harsh just like you describe, I think they use the same tweeter.

Harsh huh? Where are your tweets at? What level are they set at? I would mess around with that first before getting another set. Focal K2Ps are awesome speakers. Not hard to tune at all.

I loved the sound of my old Alpine type x.... the 177r, very smooth and airy. I have not heard any of the new alpines however. The old ones used the vifa tweeter, which is very nice, the polks sr's look like they use the same tweeter.

Ive heard the JL Audio C5 series and they are much smoother. I considered buying them cause I own the Focal utopia's right now and they are harsh just like you describe, I think they use the same tweeter.
Which Focal Utopia's do you own? How are they harsh? What kind of power? How are they eq'd? Where are they located?

I had my Focal Utopia Be's installed in my truck and they were not harsh at all. I had people get out of my truck who were very big into home systems (both theater and stereo (for music)) and they were amazed at the sound. I'm shocked to hear them described as harsh.

i just replaced my focal kp2 tweeters with morel mt11 for that same reason. waaay too harsh i kept the mid driver. now it sounds crispy and thick warm. i like =)
Where did you have the tweets set on the focals? I am waiting for new RCA cables to run my full system but last night I played my K2P's I just got at -3 DP and they are not harsh at all but kick total ass? Thats why I am asking?????

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.