Best head unit for high rez audio on a budget

I am curious what the cheapest double din head unit is that plays high res audio with the absolute highest bit rate and the best Dac chip?
A humans ears are considered to be deaf beyond 20khz why do you need beyond that?

But to answer you question Sony and alpine both make hi res units that are usually easy to find open box or used for a cheap price. I just picked up a ilx-f509 for 700 open box. It's not a double din but a 9 inch floating screen but they do have the ilx-507.

I am curious what the cheapest double din head unit is that plays high res audio with the absolute highest bit rate and the best Dac chip?
As previously suggested, Google search for High Rez head units and select the one you want. Go to Best Buy and look for an open box unit. They may also have some new units on sale, as they have started their Black Friday sales.

Hi-Res, Budget - Mutually exclusive!

Many don't realize that the entire system has to be Hi-res compatible to be true "Hi-res". Your amplifier should play from around 10Hz up to 50khz+, the source needs to be HD or HR, wires, speakers (or like the Z series pioneer comps 20-96khz), EVERYTHING in the chain has to conform to that standard or it's pointless.

Last edited:
Best to do a search for what you are looking for in features and wants,and needs. Alpine, Sony have some really great units to choose from. Some of the higher end Sony units are coming with a 3 yr warranty on certain units

Last edited:
I have been searching with not very good results. I wonder if there are any 32 bit 192khz with high res capability? If I can’t find a deal on a nice used one or find a new one for under a grand I will just bite the bullet and order a new Sony with those capability’s. The Sony is over $1,500.

I have been searching with not very good results. I wonder if there are any 32 bit 192khz with high res capability? If I can’t find a deal on a nice used one or find a new one for under a grand I will just bite the bullet and order a new Sony with those capability’s. The Sony is over $1,500.
If you can wait... There should be a Christmas Sale coming up or maybe something around Thanksgiving?Even New Years.

I heard aptx hd and ldac count as high rez. So using a smartphone as a head unit, there are several Bluetooth options if you check like zapco, audison, and arc.

Interpreting your question as "what's the cheapest SQ head unit" the answer is: Pioneer DEH 80 PRS. That's sort of the most famous "entry level SQ head unit" that I am aware of. At the price, you are going to trade quality of life features for better parts, so keep that in mind.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...