Brainstorming budget set up for daughter's car ('02 Accord)

n2audio
5,000+ posts

OPTIDRIVEN
Yo -- So my kid's turning 17 this week.

Like most kids her age she's constantly listening to music.

She's driving an '02 Accord with stock everything. She's using a tape adapter to connect her iphone.

She loves what's in my van, but I won't go that big if I decide to do some work to the car.

Anything unexpected with the accord? No external amp is there?

If there are tweeters in the dash are they done like most stock set ups just wired parallel with the woofers using caps as crossovers?

As for any specifics -- the big one is cost. I'm not putting a grand in this -- or anything close to it. I'd probably be making use of some lower end brands. Looking for the diamond in the rough sort of deals. Also thinking 4 ch amp, decent fronts, decent sub, I'll design/build the box.

Thinking Rockville, Audiopipe, Power Acoustik, Autotek level for the amp. Probably end up talking myself into PPI/MB Quart.

I'd look at name brands for front speakers. Sub, not sure, won't be very expensive though.

Any suggestions from the cheapskate's?

Sonic electronix jbl got 608c component set, jbl gt5-12 sub, crunch pdx 1000.4 amp, jbl kd-x330bts with free dash kit and wiring harness. Total $246

Front channels power comps rears bridged for sub, decent hu NOT CD PLAYER JUST DIGITAL MEDIA AND BT cd's are dead anyway.

I'd say get a new head unit

She would appreciate that more than anything especially if her friends ride with her.

Get those cheapo active capable pioneer double dins for less than 120. Then look up craigslist for dirt cheap sub/amp setups. Do the speakers later. Kids are very simple and havent developed an ear for the finer sound quality stuff yet. Just need to boom boom and look cool

I'd say get a new head unit She would appreciate that more than anything especially if her friends ride with her.

Get those cheapo active capable pioneer double dins for less than 120. Then look up craigslist for dirt cheap sub/amp setups. Do the speakers later. Kids are very simple and havent developed an ear for the finer sound quality stuff yet. Just need to boom boom and look cool
The hu I suggested is $69 With free install gear has 13band eq 2 sets of 4v rcas with high and low pass crossovers to separate subs and speakers. Very basic but needed

The hu I suggested is $69 With free install gear has 13band eq 2 sets of 4v rcas with high and low pass crossovers to separate subs and speakers. Very basic but needed
The one i'm thinking about has 3 sets of RCAs, active capable for future proofing and all that.

However thats not the main thing

If she's like any other girl, they like buttons. They do not like looking through a small convoluted menu, they want everything there easy to touch. easy to find. Hence double dins. Every girl i've done an install with preferred a double din and hated single dins both looks wise and everyday usability wise.

I'd suggest the op ask what she really wants and present her with choices and scenarios.

Dragon Sound DSB-265G 6.5" 2-Way Component Speakers | eBay
These comps up fronts^

2) JBL GT5-12 275W RMS 12" Single 4 ohm GT Series Car Subwoofers 50036119412 | eBay

These woofers^

Then get a audio pipe 1500 for woofers and a ppi 900.4 for the comp set
$80 for components that don't ****? I'll definitely keep those in mind. (I still can't believe this place censors $uc|

I won't do 2 subs, so won't need the 2nd amp. A big 4 ch will power everything.

Forgot about the GT-5's. Almost a no brainer there.

Curious what people have done with them for an enclosure. With that xmax it seems like they should be able to play pretty low ported, but at that price I can't help but doubt them.

Last edited by a moderator:
$80 for components that don't ****? I'll definitely keep those in mind. (I still can't believe this place censors $uc|
I won't do 2 subs, so won't need the 2nd amp. A big 4 ch will power everything.

Forgot about the GT-5's. Almost a no brainer there.

Curious what people have done with them. With that xmax it seems like they should be able to play pretty low, but at that price I can't help but doubt them.
efficient low powered sleepers for sure. Heard some IRL and they get loud for barely any input power.

Sonic electronix jbl got 608c component set, jbl gt5-12 sub, crunch pdx 1000.4 amp, jbl kd-x330bts with free dash kit and wiring harness. Total $246
Front channels power comps rears bridged for sub, decent hu NOT CD PLAYER JUST DIGITAL MEDIA AND BT cd's are dead anyway.
Wow, $65 on the JBL's, I hadn't seen that.

I was thinking mechless as well. Definitely agree on the CD's. I asked her if she ever uses her cd player and she looked at me like I was a dumb, clueless dad. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif

Kids are very simple and havent developed an ear for the finer sound quality stuff yet. Just need to boom boom and look cool
She rides around w/me a lot, and she's smart. She is not clueless about what sounds decent and what doesn't. Although I'm definitely not against used stuff.

The 330mbs is the marine version and has three preouts...same price

The 330mbs is the marine version and has three preouts...same price
Not finding a 330. Found a 33. $100 at sonic. ~$90 a few other places.

Just doing the HU for now is a good idea. The stock speakers aren't terrible.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.